26 inch mtber kicking and screaming into the future

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

hjb1000

by hjb1000

Hey guys, I've been riding 26 inch for a while now- I've currently got a Scott Scale and NS Eccentric and am usually XC focused. I'm not overly tall, and love the flickable nature of the smaller wheel size. I've also got quite a collection of nice wheelsets that I don't really want to give up.

So the question is, moving forward now that 26er is well and truly obsolete according to the bike industry, how am I going to keep riding my nice wheels??

If for instance, I needed to replace my Scott Scale with a new frame, what options have I got? I have even been thinking I could do something crazy like buy a 27.5 Scale and run 26 wheels in them (and enjoy the very low BB lol).

Ideas?? :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

The good thing is that there are a million 26ers out there for fire sale prices in case you need another one.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

If you don't mind hardtail in steel there's quite a few frame builders who build bikes to fit both 26/27.5 combos...albeit the 26" wheels are meant to fit 2.8-3" tyres...

hjb1000

by hjb1000

Wingnut wrote:If you don't mind hardtail in steel there's quite a few frame builders who build bikes to fit both 26/27.5 combos...albeit the 26" wheels are meant to fit 2.8-3" tyres...

Thanks for the suggestion- custom may be the best option.
Any builders that spring to mind?

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I like Rawland Cycles or 44bikes...both build great bikes!

I'm still using 26" wheels with 2.5" tyres but planning to go to some WTB Ranger tyres in 2.8"...

Marin

by Marin

Have someone build you a custom frame that will fit your 26" wheels with fat tires, and 27.5 ones with slimmer rubber!

kode54

by kode54

i run 26" mid-fat tires (3") on my 29'r. a lot of 29'r will fit 26" larger tires.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Many 26" hardtails (probably more than 50%) will take 650b wheels and tyres if you don't go mad on width, and Fox forks have enough clearance under the arch as well. So that's just wheels and tyres you may need.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Marin wrote:Have someone build you a custom frame that will fit your 26" wheels with fat tires, and 27.5 ones with slimmer rubber!

There you go.

hjb1000

by hjb1000

Marin wrote:Have someone build you a custom frame that will fit your 26" wheels with fat tires, and 27.5 ones with slimmer rubber!

This is a worthy suggestion.
But custom is of course, expensive.
The NS Eccentric I already have is a bit like this- has super short CS at 420mm but can take both 26 and 27.5. BB height will get compromised at some point...

TEXAS5GUN

by TEXAS5GUN

I run 26x2.4" rocket rods on my 26. My wife and daughter are both running 27.5. My tire is only 7 millimeters shorter then the ones that came stock with. That would effectively drop your bottom bracket by 3.5 millimeters I doubt you could tell that at all. Measure overall height of the tires and divide the difference by half I'm pretty sure you will be able to run your 26 inch wheels with decent size tires on most any 27.5

spookyload

by spookyload

I put off going 29 for a long time. Riding a Ridley C9 now and it is a nice ride. No better than my Giant NRS air. Something is going to have to give at some point though. If you need a new frame, it is custom or NOS/used frame. Not that big of a deal, but don't expect new technology to filter down to 26er for long. If you are happy with your current ride, you should be fine for a decade or so.

The only bonus I have found with bigger wheels is that I don't fall into 27" holes when I ride over them. :)

whatsblue

by whatsblue

I measured my 26" Scott Scale Premium BB height (2.25" Racing Ralph tyres, 100mm Magura Durin SL forsk) and then measured my 29" Canyon Exceed BB height (2.2" continental X-king tyres, 100mm RS1 forks).

The 29" bike is a scant 5mm higher. With all other differences in geometry, longer wheel base, etc. I concluded that this is nothing.

hjb1000

by hjb1000

whatsblue wrote:The 29" bike is a scant 5mm higher. With all other differences in geometry, longer wheel base, etc. I concluded that this is nothing.

So you're saying that 26 and 29 inch has a similar BB height? No surprise there.
The big difference is wheelbase, standover, acceleration, oh and 'lack of whipiness'

whatsblue

by whatsblue

Stand over height is so low, not a consideration on either bikes.

For reference, Both my 26 and 29 are M size HT's. My 26 is 8.2kg and my 29 is 8kg. The wheels on my 29 are way more expensive but lighter than my 26 wheels. But there's still more rotational weight in the 29 wheels. But I got the 29 for marathon and ultra distance racing where acceleration is not important. I live in the Pyrenees mountains and most of my riding around, acceleration is not needed. Momentum is more important for a flowing ride and efficient style that can go for hours.

The 29 wheels have the advantage of grip, esp. climbing. I can now climb loose gravel out the saddle when the 26 wheel would spin and threaten to throw you over the front kind of thing.

Wheelbase is longer. I whack my crank arms more on rocks on the 29. Either the bike is more planted, I run more sag on forks or the longer wheel base is spanning the obstacles that rise up to kiss my crank arms?

Flickability is the biggest difference for me. The 26 is so much easier to get off ground or transplant. 26 is quicker to respond. If I make an error it is easier to recover. I love it that when 26 goes off a good line into rough rocks with pot holes, I can recover it by jumping and skimming over the hazard - usually ;-) For me, I kept my 26 with intention to train on it but it's now collecting dust... the 29 is fun but in a different way.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com