26 inch mtber kicking and screaming into the future

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

hjb1000

by hjb1000

^ Thanks for your comments whatsblue, good info!

F45

by F45

When I was building my 26 hard tail, I was concerned about availability of forks and shifting with the shorter chain line. At 43cm, I thought 11 speed would have a tougher time, but it works fine. There are tons of forks still for sale. I didn't have any trouble getting anything I wanted for it. I could even build a superlight set of wheels from Chinese carbon if I wanted. Instead I just got some $14 Stans Arch.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Here's what I just did with my trusty 26" 456, now in its 4th incarnation:

Monstercross build - tons of fun to ride. I checked, it would also fit 28" wheels with CX tires :D Or 27.5 with mild knobbies.

hjb1000

by hjb1000

^ Thanks for the input guys, glad to hear I'm not the only one keeping the 26 spirit alive!

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Nice monstercross build! I am toying with handing off my old Diamondback Ti frame (raced for years all around Colorado) to some mad genius who could convert it -- though it's over 15 years old. 26" wheels, cantilever brakes, probably not a super-stiff frame or modern-sized headset. Thoughts? I'd like to do it on some modest budget.

Marin

by Marin

Umm why do you need a mad genius? Just slap some drop bars on, figure out which shifters you want and go! There's nothing on the frame you need to convert, and a DB Ti frame would be a sweet base for a MonsterX build!

Would be happy to help with info too.

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Thanks. I'd need to replace the brakes (recommendations for good but inexpensive cantis that'd work with SRAM shifter/brake levers?), probably most of the 9speed drivetrain, maybe also the ancient Rock Shox fork.

Marin

by Marin

Avid Shorty cantis have a good reputation, but I have no experience. Avid = Sram, so I'd expect these to work.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

I think you mean short (mini) V's for use with road levers, all Canti's are rubbish, just some are slightly less rubbish than others!
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956