tune shimano deore brakes??

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

chris47

by chris47

So i picked up a giant anthem with deore brakes, and i am a dead broke college student and i would like to lighten my brakes. How much weight could i save by getting some lighter hydraulic hoses (if they even exist) and by doing a bit of drillium on the levers. Is it a pointless project or is it actually worthwile? my other alternative would be to scour the internet to finde some formula r1 brakes later when my bank acount has recovered slightly

Thank you ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scant

by scant

Having been a dead broke student many moons ago, I'd personally leave the brakes as is, to recoup maximum resale at a later date; whilst looking for lighter replacements

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

I see several options here:
1. Drill the levers.
2. Replace bar clamp with custom plastic one.
3. If bar clamp bolts are steel, replace with aluminium.
4. Cotter pin instead of bolt for pads retaining.
5. Ti caliper mount bolts.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

I wouldn't waste too much and save for better brakes, formula r1 or r1s are decently light and powerful (the r1s is OE fit only and mates an RX calliper to an r1 lever so 20g heavier but can be found a lot cheaper).

Aluminium lever bolts and Ti caliper bolts can be reused (lever bolts for shifters).
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

chris47

by chris47

yeah, it is true that tuning the brakes will hurt the resell value quite a bit, but can anyone provide a guesstimate of how much can be saved by drilling out the levers, changing the hoses and pimping them with titanium or allow bolts?

SportingGoods

by SportingGoods

In one way I'd be tempted to say that you can do as you want, the resell value of Deore brake being close to zero. In another way, those brakes are so heavy that it is a bit pointless to make them lighter. You won't gain much, nowhere near a light pair of brakes.

New Hose + bleed will cost you as much as the value of these brakes.

I'd say: save your money, every single cent you'd put into the mod of the brakes, and buy good brakes whenever you can.

chris47

by chris47

Fair enough ;)
on that note, do you guys have any recommendations for light yet cheap brakes? Hopefully somewhere in the range of $100-$150
Thanks again

Marin

by Marin

chris47 wrote:yeah, it is true that tuning the brakes will hurt the resell value quite a bit, but can anyone provide a guesstimate of how much can be saved by drilling out the levers, changing the hoses and pimping them with titanium or allow bolts?

What are you studying? I hope it's not a scientific subject ;)

Savings by drilling: Cross section of the hole x depth x specfic weight of aluminum. Let's say 3g per Lever max?

Bolts: Check which you can replace, weigh, calculate weight savings by using specific weigh ratio. Many bolts can be replaced with aluminum too, Magura will evel sell you alu rotor bolts.

Hoses: Leave them alone.

Bottom line: Not worth it, get lighter tires and go tubeless.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Only thing I'd consider is getting some Ti calliper bolts as they will be transferable to any brake callipers you eventually put on that frame. They are lighter and don't rust. It's a win/win.

Get saving!
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

mattyNor

by mattyNor

I'd say forget everything else and save for new wheels. Don't mess around getting lighter but worse preforming brakes, get an upgrade that's going to benefit you in everyway

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

chris47

by chris47

I already have a pair of stans crest wheels on the way, but yep wheels should always be the first priority ;)

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Not sure in what planet Deore are worth close to zero, a simple check of sold items on eBay shows they are popular and worth about £15 an end in the UK, my R1s cost me £60 (also off eBay) so it would be half way there.

SportingGoods

by SportingGoods

TheRookie wrote:Not sure in what planet Deore are worth close to zero, a simple check of sold items on eBay shows they are popular and worth about £15 an end in the UK, my R1s cost me £60 (also off eBay) so it would be half way there.

When a pair of brake cost as much as changing the hose and bleeding them I call that zero value. If those Deore are brand new, unmounted from a bike before they have ever been used, OK it's time to sell those and get some money out of it. But if they are used... I would not rely on the sale to pay me anything else then a few beers.

That said, it's true that if you find a used (but still OK) pair of R1 for £60, go for it!

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Used Deore sell for that on eBay.co.uk and that is where I bought my R1s (not R1 as it happens).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com