Different SPD pedals with 5mm stack height difference?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

motorthings

by motorthings

I have a leg length discrepancy (~6mm) that i can handle with speedplay bits on my road bike/shoes, but on my Stigmata, running mtb shoes, I find my options much more limited. I have tried a few things with not so good results, and my body is getting cranky about it.

I'm using Shimano PD-M8000 pedals, and am looking for another pair (preferably shimano) that would have around a 5mm stack height difference, so I can mix and match and get a pair that makes my legs happy.

I have worn out my google-fu, and only come up with a few bits like that the PDM-980 is 2.2mm lower than PDM-970.

Anyone here have info/specs/measurements that might help me out?

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Not exactly what you asked for but if you don't find a solution with Shimano pedals maybe this could be an option for you.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/10/04/ib1 ... repancies/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

motorthings

by motorthings

Gullholm wrote:Not exactly what you asked for but if you don't find a solution with Shimano pedals maybe this could be an option for you.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/10/04/ib1 ... new-featur[color=#BF0000][/color]e-for-leg-length-discrepancies/

Thanks, looked into those, and was not impressed by the reviews. I hoped they would work better.

mattr

by mattr

You tried a little bit of shimming? Or swapping insoles?
Between the two you *should* be able to get near enough to reduce the cranky bodies complaints.

icenutter

by icenutter

In Andy Mruitt's 'Medical Guide for Cyclists' he talks about correcting half the leg length discrepancy, from memory. There was a story about Axel Merckx (or was it Eddie) suffering discomfort until it was sorted.

2.2mm might be close enough.

motorthings

by motorthings

mattr wrote:You tried a little bit of shimming? Or swapping insoles?
Between the two you *should* be able to get near enough to reduce the cranky bodies complaints.

tried a bit of insole shimming, and it just made the tops of my toes unhappy :(
the issue with shimming on the spd is that if i shim the cleat, then the tread of the shoe will not make contact with the pedal body anymore.

I was trying to avoid building up the sole of the shoe and doing the cleat shim, but i may have to do that.

motorthings

by motorthings

icenutter wrote:In Andy Mruitt's 'Medical Guide for Cyclists' he talks about correcting half the leg length discrepancy, from memory. There was a story about Axel Merckx (or was it Eddie) suffering discomfort until it was sorted.

that's interesting...i use a 5mm spacer on my speedplay cleats on my road shoes, so was shooting to get roughly the same fit on my mtb shoes, but it's good to know maybe i don't have to get the full 5mm. thanks!

mattr

by mattr

Try John Luck shoes.
They do a full custom that *might* be full custom enough to lift your foot the required 3 or 4 mm.

Might have to contact them directly if that sort of fitting help isn't available on their website.

mattr

by mattr

Just had a click.
They will do up to 20mm of stack on one shoe in some models (from Limited and up in the range, so a fairly reasonable price)
Might need to get a professional assessment first though, don't want to get it wrong!

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Shimming the SPD cleat is by far the easiest and cheapest approach. Bikefit make some shims or you can simply space up the shim with washers (obviously you'll need longer bolts)

I have a whole bunch of spacers and varius wedges on my road shoes but none on my mtb shoes, I guess I'm up and down so much on the mtb that my knees don't feel the pain
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

motorthings

by motorthings

bikewithnoname wrote:Shimming the SPD cleat is by far the easiest and cheapest approach. Bikefit make some shims or you can simply space up the shim with washers (obviously you'll need longer bolts)

I have a whole bunch of spacers and varius wedges on my road shoes but none on my mtb shoes, I guess I'm up and down so much on the mtb that my knees don't feel the pain

so the shimming of the cleat is super easy...i could do that in a couple of minutes (like i have done on my road shoes)

the issue with MTB shoes is that the SPD style pedals require contact with the tread of the shoe on the sides of the cleats, for full contact and stablity (unlike road shoes, where the contact is all cleat to pedal) if i just shim up the SPD cleat, then the shoe will rock back and forth on the pedal, since the shoe tread will now be 5mm higher than the sides of the pedal.

i think i may just go to a local shoe repair shop and pick up some 5mm sole material to add to my shoe tread, and harder 5mm plastic stock for a cleat shim.

motorthings

by motorthings

mattr wrote:Just had a click.
They will do up to 20mm of stack on one shoe in some models (from Limited and up in the range, so a fairly reasonable price)
Might need to get a professional assessment first though, don't want to get it wrong!

those shoes do look sweet, and would give me the extra height i need...if i hadn't just bought a new pair of spesh mtb, i'd be all over that (and may be eventually anyway).

thanks!

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Ah ok, I see your problem, might this kit get you half the way there? http://www.bikefit.com/p-21-1-pack-3mm- ... -shim.aspx
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

motorthings

by motorthings

bikewithnoname wrote:Ah ok, I see your problem, might this kit get you half the way there? http://www.bikefit.com/p-21-1-pack-3mm- ... -shim.aspx

exactly....that may be part of the solution!

icenutter

by icenutter

icenutter wrote:In Andy Mruitt's 'Medical Guide for Cyclists' he talks about correcting half the leg length discrepancy, from memory. There was a story about Axel Merckx (or was it Eddie) suffering discomfort until it was sorted.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com