Lightest 29ers out there?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nunokas

by nunokas

Kristinka wrote:@UpFromOne: No worry. I did som pretty tough racing on it, already. Rock gardens, steep and deep drops and jupms.
I spoke with Extralite guys and they understand how though the present XC and marathon courses are.

@Klaster1: sealing the LS version was not a problem with Stans sealant. I took maybe 10 minutes longer to seal than SS version but since then no leaks. Works flawlessly. I have been trying Race King RS version, too. I was able to seal it. But the Race Sport version is not intended for tubeless use. The sides of the tire are so thin and weak it cannot withstand any touching of rock or any obstacle. The side of the tire ruptures and the sealent will not repair it.

Killer setup Kristinka :thumbup:
I also have a full extralite cockpit (hiperbar,hiperstem,hipercap) and, till now, i don't feel it inferior in any aspect compared with my syntace cockpit (duraflite,f109).
But the truth is... i weight 66kg, and i admit that an heavier rider could note some flex on a less than 100gr bar ;)

Using the same setup on tires also, LS on the front and SS at the back. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRookie

by TheRookie

All my Schwalbe tyres are LS, yes you have to swirl the fluid round to get it to seal the sidewalls but it does and then you are saving about 200g total on the bike. Never once ripped a sidewall.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

mattr

by mattr

Give the inside of the sidewall a scrub and a clean first. It'll help the sealant stick.

michel2

by michel2

i still think that the rider is still the biggest influence when it comes to durability, to give an example i got to kind of friends, those how complain bout dents in stans rims and those how don't, heavier guys that keep them in one piece and 65 kilo dude that mange to clip every rock on the trail...

Gullholm

by Gullholm

michel2 wrote:i still think that the rider is still the biggest influence when it comes to durability, to give an example i got to kind of friends, those how complain bout dents in stans rims and those how don't, heavier guys that keep them in one piece and 65 kilo dude that mange to clip every rock on the trail...

This is a very valid point, some just ride smoother than others and can get away with lighter bikes. Body weight isn't everything.

And related to that, funny thing is how quite a few people can look at a fully custom built bike that's built specifically for one rider and his/her riding style and immediately without thinking just bash it along the lines of "Ah that's just crap, waste of money and a stupid build, wouldn't hold up for rolling down a curb blabla I've broken this or I've seen this guy break that blabla". But that's the internet and todays way of thinking I guess, not only when it comes to light bikes.

Kristinka: Nice Top Fuel! Are all of those weights listed weighed by you?

Gullholm

by Gullholm

A little bump with this bike that definitely deserves a mention here, 6,845kg Scott Scale 900 RC World Cup. So much work done on it, everything from custom seat/seatpost and handlebar combos to even the internals on the brakes being tuned.

Has anyone seen some other light builds lately? Dream-bikes.it built a 6,88kg SG Compositi some time ago I think.

More pics and info on the Scott here!
https://www.mtb-news.de/news/2017/11/09/scott-scale-rc-worldcup-ibc-user-kai-greene/

boots2000

by boots2000

Weight depends on your budget and your tolerance for failures and hassles.

I just built a 2018 Specialized Epic HT in size medium. It is 8.69 kg- mostly stock, but with Racing Ralph Snakeskin Rear, Rocket Ron Liteskin front (both Addix), XTR 9000 race pedals, 2 King cages, Wahoo mount, Quarq Eagle XX1, Easton EC90 flat bars (stock were 200g), and ESI grips.

Could I make it lighter? Sure- Could I make it less reliable? For sure- Right now it is rock solid in terms of reliability.
And if I get passed on a climb- it is not the bike that is slowing me down.

niklasp

by niklasp

Gullholm wrote:A little bump with this bike that definitely deserves a mention here, 6,845kg Scott Scale 900 RC World Cup. So much work done on it, everything from custom seat/seatpost and handlebar combos to even the internals on the brakes being tuned.

Has anyone seen some other light builds lately? Dream-bikes.it built a 6,88kg SG Compositi some time ago I think.

https://www.mtb-news.de/news/2017/11/09/scott-scale-rc-worldcup-ibc-user-kai-greene/

Maybe this "masmoped" from the depths of Dalarna https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbl_ysYFeCr ... dangerholm :D
Sick.

Specialized epic HT 2018 sounds like a pretty light bike. Was i s-works?

For comparison my HT is 9,98kg :D

Jensa

by Jensa

niklasp wrote:
Gullholm wrote:A little bump with this bike that definitely deserves a mention here, 6,845kg Scott Scale 900 RC World Cup. So much work done on it, everything from custom seat/seatpost and handlebar combos to even the internals on the brakes being tuned.

Maybe this "masmoped" from the depths of Dalarna https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbl_ysYFeCr ... dangerholm :D
Sick.

Specialized epic HT 2018 sounds like a pretty light bike. Was i s-works?

For comparison my HT is 9,98kg :D

you know that Gullholm and Dangerholm is the same person? :D his two builds are sick

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Haha thanks guys!

I might as well post a pic of the bike here too, there's more in my thread in the "Introduce yourself" section in case anyone missed it.
6,22kg

02GF74

by 02GF74

re: Manuel Fumic's Cannondale Scalpel Si I initially read that 9.31 kg instead of 10.31, and thought OMG WOW WTF since I have scalpel 1 slightly tuned to 10.51 kg (from memory) so was wondering where the extra 1.2 kg went.

Update. 10.71 kg so worse than I thought.

going tubeless on rear (front already is), fitting direct mount chainring an maybe going SRAM xx1 instead of XT and lighter brakes (XT currently) would achieve that.

PS I'm puzzled why the rear linkage is different on M Fumic's bikes - is it because it is a small frame size?

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

My 2017 X-large Spark RC SL is 19.9lbs with Thunderburt tires, 20.4lbs with Aspens. That includes a 5" dropper post and no sketchy parts. It handles being ridden by an agressive 170lb rider in the Rockies.

Jensa

by Jensa

02GF74 wrote:re: Manuel Fumic's Cannondale Scalpel Si I initially read that 9.31 kg instead of 10.31, and thought OMG WOW WTF since I have scalpel 1 slightly tuned to 10.51 kg (from memory) so was wondering where the extra 1.2 kg went.

going tubeless on rear (front already is), fitting direct mount chainring an maybe going SRAM xx1 instead of XT and lighter brakes (XT currently) would achieve that.

PS I'm puzzled why the rear linkage is different on M Fumic's bikes - is it because it is a small frame size?

what do you mean? Fumic is riding the new scalpel-si and the bike on your picture isn't a scalpel-si, its the old scalpel 29.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Jensa wrote:
02GF74 wrote:re: Manuel Fumic's Cannondale Scalpel Si I initially read that 9.31 kg instead of 10.31, and thought OMG WOW WTF since I have scalpel 1 slightly tuned to 10.51 kg (from memory) so was wondering where the extra 1.2 kg went.

what do you mean? Fumic is riding the new scalpel-si and the bike on your picture isn't a scalpel-si, its the old scalpel 29.

Not to mention the non-carbon Mavic wheels on that bike.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

alloy seatpost,mavic alu wheels,ice-tech rotors,normal seat,etc,etc !?!?!?