Lightest 29ers out there?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mattr

by mattr

Getter wrote:Only place I've seen CX bikes are on fire roads. The last guy I saw take a CX bike to some Sycamore Canyon singletrack had to be extracted by a park ranger.
Couple of things, I'd guess you don't watch much cross, or see many cross bikes. At all.

And being extracted by a park ranger is 100% a reflection on the rider. You can do anything on CX bike that you can do on an XC bike. Just slower and with better line choice. Much like running rigid and semi slicks. Sometimes slower might even be running. But we do that in XC too......

marecej

by marecej

Unno Horn = 8100g
Ellsworth Truth = 9371g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

mattr wrote:
Getter wrote:Only place I've seen CX bikes are on fire roads. The last guy I saw take a CX bike to some Sycamore Canyon singletrack had to be extracted by a park ranger.
Couple of things, I'd guess you don't watch much cross, or see many cross bikes. At all.

And being extracted by a park ranger is 100% a reflection on the rider. You can do anything on CX bike that you can do on an XC bike. Just slower and with better line choice. Much like running rigid and semi slicks. Sometimes slower might even be running. But we do that in XC too......

I see CX bikes on singletrack regularly.

One of them is under my friend, who is a pro MTB racer. Despite that, he has to pick his way down descents at half the speed he'd do them on his XC bike.

Point being, a "light" bike is not necessarily a "fast" bike, unless you ride nothing but rail trails and pavement. There is a reason many pros, at both the WC and regional level, have moved to more reliable, heavier bikes. The days of the Margarita Fullana friendly dirt road races are over.

KWalker

by KWalker

I'd love to see someone on a CX bike do a downhill, steep rock garden that has drops.

I have had my fair share of wipes on a pair of MCFK bars and no cracks, but a small chip. Have friends that have had perfectly good, uncrashed Eastons snap off and crack Enve's in a slow speed tip over. Bad things can happen to any gear that is not properly maintained or inspected prior to use and especially after any sort of accident.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

prodigy

by prodigy

KWalker wrote:I'd love to see someone on a CX bike do a downhill, steep rock garden that has drops.

Here you go: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qRF8XasCpS0

But very few can ride a bike like Barelli.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

prodigy wrote:
KWalker wrote:I'd love to see someone on a CX bike do a downhill, steep rock garden that has drops.

Here you go: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qRF8XasCpS0

But very few can ride a bike like Barelli.

That was steep and rocky? Seriously?

That's a BMX track in the woods.

mattr

by mattr

You wouldn't see many riders doing a DH on an XC bike either. And if they were, slow and steady!

KWalker

by KWalker

I've gotta say that even though the 740 Enve tested close in stiffness to the 700 MCFK in Fairwheels test, after switching to a 720 Enve I noticed the stiffness compared to the old 700 MCFK. Did notice the 36g weight.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

TheRookie

by TheRookie

marecej wrote:

no

Agreed, while mine is just a 26er (so yes inherently lighter - although my relatively budget wheels weigh the same as quoted for his 29ers), my alloy framed home built on a budget (sub £800) FS is lighter than that on it's winter Nobby Nics.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

Kristinka

by Kristinka

Is this light + functional enough? :) I competed some of the toughest mtb marathons and XC couses here in Czech and Slovak Republic.

Frame: Trek Top Fuel 17,5" ... 2.048g
Fork: Fox 32SC Factory Remote ... 1.327g
Drivetrain: Sram Eagle XX1
Crankset: Tune BlackFoot 172,5mm ... 365g
BB: AX lightness ceramic 41x30mm ... 55g
chainring: 32T Garbaruk chainring ... 40g
brakes: XTR Race M9000 ... 384g
hubs: Extralite HyperFront/HyperRear boost 32h ... 76g/165g
Rims: Duke Lucky Jack (24,5mm inner width) 32holes ... 334g/344g
Spokes: Sapim CX Ray
stem: Extralite HyperStem -12° 80mm ... 67g
handlebar: Extralite HyperBar UL 680mm ... 87g
seatpost: NewUltimate 31,6x350mm ... 142g
pedals: BBB Ti ... 244g
saddle: Selle Italia SLR Tekflow ... 96g
tires: Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29x2,1" Front LS / Rear SS (setup with notubes sealant) ... 511g/590g
Attachments
Trek_Top_Fuel_RSL_custom_weight.jpg
Trek_Top_Fuel_RSL_custom_2a_2.jpg

CGT

by CGT

Killer set-up and weight. Need better pictures though!

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Kristinka wrote:Is this light + functional enough? :)
(cut)
stem: Extralite HyperStem -12° 80mm ... 67g
handlebar: Extralite HyperBar UL 680mm ... 87g
(cut)

Hope you don't do any drops. I'm a weight weenie too, and I understand those are production parts, but that's really pushing the good sense envelope.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29x2,1" Front LS / Rear SS

How did LS sealing went compared to SS? I plan to go SS both front and rear, but extra weight saved looks attractive, as long as SS provides reasonable tubeless setup. This year I had a great dissappointment when X/Raceking RS failed to seal after several weeks using Stan's, no way I'd like to experience something like that again.

Kristinka

by Kristinka

@UpFromOne: No worry. I did som pretty tough racing on it, already. Rock gardens, steep and deep drops and jupms.
I spoke with Extralite guys and they understand how though the present XC and marathon courses are.

@Klaster1: sealing the LS version was not a problem with Stans sealant. I took maybe 10 minutes longer to seal than SS version but since then no leaks. Works flawlessly. I have been trying Race King RS version, too. I was able to seal it. But the Race Sport version is not intended for tubeless use. The sides of the tire are so thin and weak it cannot withstand any touching of rock or any obstacle. The side of the tire ruptures and the sealent will not repair it.
Attachments
IMG_7650 a.jpg
IMG_1631a.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Yes, today's XC seems to be yesterday's Enduro!