Lightest 29ers out there?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

02GF74

by 02GF74

OK so that explains it. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jensa

by Jensa

02GF74 wrote:OK so that explains it. :)

so he has a lighter frame. then he has extralite stem and a mfck tube ore something like that, thats about minus 90-100 grams, if you have the wedge in the opi tube as you should (if you don't have leonardi tube). He also has a lighter seat post then you. lighter brakes. Probably he also has sisl2 crankset, thats lighter (gues you have Si). But the fact is that his bike could be a lot lighter if fumic let someone like Gullholm go bananas on it :D but then his sponsors wouldn't be happy :D

SK5

by SK5

I don't see why you guys don't get your bikes lighter . Go the lightest you can . It takes much more machine work, carbon fibre work etc to get a bike really light . I want to see insanely light bikes . I want to see people do their own carbon fibre work . Come on .

jooo

by jooo

I'm still waiting to see you build a mountain bike :roll:

SK5

by SK5

jooo wrote:I'm still waiting to see you build a mountain bike :roll:

Already have built a second weight weenie mtb .

Jensa

by Jensa

SK5 wrote:
jooo wrote:I'm still waiting to see you build a mountain bike :roll:

Already have built a second weight weenie mtb .

to me, your bike isn't a mountainbike, not a functional one. just as you write your self about the tyres, the tyres you weight with is there just for when you take the weight, and not for riding, to me you could put on road types if thats the way to go, to put on just for the weight, not for something you would use on the trails. And lauf fork? thats purly a fork for gravel road race. and have i read right, you have taking it down to 60mm travel? thats not a travel for trails. your build is very nice, but not a mountainbike for trails as i se it, thats just my personal opinion.

so i say, I don't see why you don't build a real mountainbike :roll: :roll:

TheRookie

by TheRookie

You'd be wrong about Lauf forks, I know three users who do 'proper' mountain biking on them (un modified), but then all three used fully rigid before putting the Lauf's on and so probably use a technique and riding style that allows the fork to work better for them (one is the EWMBO two times world champ for single speed category to add perspective) than those of us coming from a more normal suspension fork.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

Jensa

by Jensa

TheRookie wrote:You'd be wrong about Lauf forks, I know three users who do 'proper' mountain biking on them (un modified), but then all three used fully rigid before putting the Lauf's on and so probably use a technique and riding style that allows the fork to work better for them (one is the EWMBO two times world champ for single speed category to add perspective) than those of us coming from a more normal suspension fork.

off cause you can, as you say you can ride trails with rigid fork. but how good is it. For sure they have better technics if they are used to ride rigid fork on technical trails and for sure a lauf will damp more then a rigid fork. But there is a reason that cars with leaf springs ALSO has a damper that takes the recoil from the springs. and if you then shorten the travel to, to 60 mm, you are back on what everybody raced with before 2000.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Composite materials have a much higher hysteresis (internal damping effect) than steel......I've only had a brief ride on one but it certainly felt better damped than my SID with the rebound set full fast (which kicks back quite nastily, only did it the once after forgetting to reset it after a service).

I wasn't arguing in favour of shortening the travel.

Jensa

by Jensa

TheRookie wrote:Composite materials have a much higher hysteresis (internal damping effect) than steel......I've only had a brief ride on one but it certainly felt better damped than my SID with the rebound set full fast (which kicks back quite nastily, only did it the once after forgetting to reset it after a service).

but who rides the SID with "the rebound set full fast "? you mean that the carbon springs flex in one way fast, and slower on the way back? :D

LeDuke

by LeDuke

A 60/100mm FS with 74 degree HTA on Furious Freds.

Seriously. Re-read that statement, think about all that it implies, and then compare that to the something like Nino Schurter's Olympic Spark, and get back to me.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Here's my take on an ultra-light Spark. I weigh 170, race more enduro than XC, and live in a place with big rocky climbs and descents (Breckenridge, CO). I used to use a 23.5lb 5010 for XC. I still have it, a Bronson, Nomad, and V10 but I figured it was time for a proper XC bike again. I hadn't had one since 1997.
19.9 lbs with Thunder Burt tires that I only use for a mellow area and early season race (Frisco Peninsula).
20.4 lbs with 2.25" Maxxis Aspen Exos that I use most of the time.
21.1 lbs (memory is a little fuzzy on this one) with 2.35" Maxxis Ikon Exos that I use for a downhillish TT and some rugged trails around town.
Note the 5" 9point8 dropper post, very good suspension (seriously, with the Ikons this bikes rips), and dependable brakes. It worked perfectly all summer without a hiccup.

This is about 2 lbs lighter than Nino's bike and 2 sizes larger.

niklasp

by niklasp

SK5 wrote:I don't see why you guys don't get your bikes lighter . Go the lightest you can . It takes much more machine work, carbon fibre work etc to get a bike really light . I want to see insanely light bikes . I want to see people do their own carbon fibre work . Come on .

Are you for real? ;)

Nice pinkbike article (dangerholm/cute/gullholm) :)

mattr

by mattr

Maybe SK5 is SebKs new log in?

Stranger things have happened....... :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Jensa wrote:
TheRookie wrote:Composite materials have a much higher hysteresis (internal damping effect) than steel......I've only had a brief ride on one but it certainly felt better damped than my SID with the rebound set full fast (which kicks back quite nastily, only did it the once after forgetting to reset it after a service).

but who rides the SID with "the rebound set full fast "? you mean that the carbon springs flex in one way fast, and slower on the way back? :D
I was just using that as a quick comparison.

No, as with all materials it has a hysteresis, as you bend it, even if it bounces back some energy is absorbed by the material, that's creates a damping effect, in the case of the Lauf if expect the same in compression as in rebound, it is still quite lively, but it doesn't feel undamped.