tune headset rubbing.

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

corky

by corky

No instructions or parts list included?.......strange

qwpy

by qwpy

it has nothing to do with colour, the silver split ring is a different size and shape to the black one in the photo.

star bike have just sent me a black washer part in the post.

seriously though, i am not being sarcastic. Why would you think i have to go out and buy internal shims? is this a normal thing for all the thousands of people who have bought a BUBU? I cant see anyone else on-line with an internal shim issue for this headset. I have never had to add shims inside any headset i have installed before.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

qwpy

by qwpy

corky wrote:No instructions or parts list included?.......strange

not in my box.

but hopefully the part starbike are sending should fix it.

That was very good of them to send it to me, after 1 year of the purchase. no problems.

mattr

by mattr

qwpy wrote:I have never had to add shims inside any headset i have installed before.
Depends how many headsets you fit, and which different types. Internal headsets where the top cover runs against the headtube it's almost a dead cert that they need a shim. Integrated it's less (30-40% maybe). Conventional is pretty much zero, unless they are designed to use one.

qwpy

by qwpy

mattr wrote:
qwpy wrote:I have never had to add shims inside any headset i have installed before.
Depends how many headsets you fit, and which different types. Internal headsets where the top cover runs against the headtube it's almost a dead cert that they need a shim. Integrated it's less (30-40% maybe). Conventional is pretty much zero, unless they are designed to use one.

thank you

something like this at .25mm?

http://www.modernbike.com/product-2126240636

i would have thought they would include a couple, with a note "just in case you need one" in a few languages : P

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

That's what you want, and many headset manufacturers do indeed include a few with their headsets, "just in case".
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

qwpy

by qwpy

thank you : )

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Also, a little skim of grease on the shims is always a good idea as well to prevent any creaking that may occur (but not likely) otherwise.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mattr

by mattr

Most of the headsets I've bought in the last 10-12 years have come with 3-5 shims.
So I should have a bag of about 15 spares.

Unfortunately it's another thing that went missing during my workshop update. :/

Along with about €500 worth of new and nearly new saddles. And a dura ace chainset.

qwpy

by qwpy

Calnago wrote:Also, a little skim of grease on the shims is always a good idea as well to prevent any creaking that may occur (but not likely) otherwise.

great idea thanks.

qwpy

by qwpy

mattr wrote:Unfortunately it's another thing that went missing during my workshop update. :/

Along with about €500 worth of new and nearly new saddles. And a dura ace chainset.

Owch ....thats painful. : (

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

Hi,

I see you've mentioned me in a different thread about BuBu headset.

My thought was that you need some shims like already mentioned.

This and/or part that you have coming from starbike should fix your issue.

I use these shims in Tube Bubu, KCNC Radiant and Cane Creek 10 headsets.

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

qwpy

by qwpy

krzysiekmz wrote:Hi,

I see you've mentioned me in a different thread about BuBu headset.

My thought was that you need some shims like already mentioned.

This and/or part that you have coming from starbike should fix your issue.

I use these shims in Tube Bubu, KCNC Radiant and Cane Creek 10 headsets.

Chris.

Wow thanks krzysiekmz i wasn’t sure if you'd see my message : )

I'd better buy a few .25 mm shims just in case.

Thanks for the confirmation. : P