Scalpel Si 2017 - 2 x full-size water bottles?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

trailgumby

by trailgumby

I'm thinking about upgrading to the new model 2017 Scalpel Si

Is anybody with inside knowledge or hands-on experience able to tell me whether it is possible to squeeze in 2 x full-size Camelbak Podium bottles without bumping on the shock?

If so it will potentially remove a disincentive and open up the ability to race longer events up to 100km, as I really dislike using a hydration pack when racing. If not, I'll probably stay with my current ride awhile longer.

Supposedly on my current ride (2013 Scalpel 2) I'm supposed to stick with 500ml bottles per the manual, but the wider and shorter than normal 700ml Podium just fits with an Arundel sideloader.

Thanks for your help :D

Spinlikemad

by Spinlikemad

I use two Arundel sideloader cages on my size large Scalpel SI and I can fit the standard 21 ounce podium bottle in the down tube cage but not in the seat tube cage. So I use a shorter bottle (18 ounce?) in that cage. I have the carbon 2 and it is a fantastic bike!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

trailgumby

by trailgumby

Thanks for getting back to me. Not ideal, but I could probably live with that.

Is the front hub the wider unit found on the Trigger, or is it the same as the older style? I have a Light Bicycles carbon race day wheelset - would be nice to swap that over to the new bike. Re-dishing the rear isn;t that hard but it would be nice to do so without having to do a complete re-lace of the front hoop.