Aluminum fittings for Formula R1 Racing?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Hi there. I'm wondering about using some aluminum Goodridge fittings with my Formula R1 Racing (2016). I want to keep using the original Formula hoses, but I would like to change the compression nut (left in this picture) and the banjo bolt with aluminum ones, if possible. I know that the Goodridge kits are meant to be used with Goodridge hoses, but is it possible to use just the compression nut, and the Banjo bolt from one of their fitting sets? In other words: Will these two parts fit with the original Formula R1 Racing hose and the rest of the original Formula fittings?

TheRookie

by TheRookie

The compression nut shouldn't be an issue, its in the same housing (external thread on the nut) and unless the Goodridge hose is smaller (unlikely) then will work fine with the Formula hose as it does it's sealing on the olive.

At the ether end do you mean the Banjo or the Banjo bolt? I thought Goodridge only did the Banjo itself in which case the same comments apply.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

TheRookie wrote:The compression nut shouldn't be an issue, its in the same housing (external thread on the nut) and unless the Goodridge hose is smaller (unlikely) then will work fine with the Formula hose as it does it's sealing on the olive.

At the ether end do you mean the Banjo or the Banjo bolt? I thought Goodridge only did the Banjo itself in which case the same comments apply.

Thanks. I think I'm thinking about the banjo bolt? Here is a link to the one they sell on CRC. Does anyone know what thread pitch the compression nut uses?

TheRookie

by TheRookie

I thought the R1 still had the bleed screw inside of the banjo bolt, in which case that bolt would be no good as you can't bleed at the calliper end?

It does
http://www.rideformula.com/products/mtb-brakes/r1r/

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

It does have a bleeding screw inside the banjo bolt, but isn't it enough with just the one on the master cylinder? I've actually never bled any brakes myself, so sorry if this assumption is really noobish.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

No, you need a bleed screw at the calliper end to bleed the calliper, otherwise you could have a hose half full of air and due to the small diameter of the hose never be able to bleed it.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Ok. Thanks. I wonder how it's done with the full Goodridge kit for the R1 Racing then. Maybe they don't make a kit for the R1 Racing at all? Or maybe you just have to keep the Banjo bolt.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

That CRC link doesn't suggest the bolt is compatible with the R1 (racing or otherwise).

The Goodridge kit for the R1 is cheaper than the other Formula kits so maybe doesn't include the Banjo bolt. I can't get a contents list unfortunately to be sure.

My R1s (R1 lever RX calliper) has a remote bleed nipple so could use the Banjo bolt, but as the calliper weighs circa 20g more I don't think a lightweight bolt isnt going to make it any lighter than the R1 in use!

poynt

by poynt

Can I slightly take this OT and ask what is the lightest replacement hose for the R1Rs if I didn't use their kevlar ones, want a black hose. Thought about using BFO hoses as they are mega light but have been told they are a low pressure system and so not compatable with Formula High pressure sysytem. Also can if I get the hose seperately can I get the full parts kit incl banjos to make up a complete reliable hose.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com