RS-1 fork

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Liggero, as asked above, have you actually spent any real time on one setting it up to ride properly?

If by a noodle you mean you can twist it when holding it with your legs then the bro science test means sweet FA. If you're at the point you can twist it like that riding it then you're already going to eat shit.
Heavier than other options yes, but a whole lot more plush feeling too which at the end of 100+km on the gas is a welcome trade off.
I'm willing to be that people who shit on the fork have it set up far from ideal. I wasn't a huge fan to begin with but once it's dialled in it becomes a completely different fork. To be fair im comparing the Brain RS1 to a Brain SID.
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

GFeldy rips the shit out of the fork and races as a Pro, I'm sure he probably has it dialed. His both had Brains.

The DT fork mentioned has so-so reviews on the damper compared to RS and Fox.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Fair call, wasn't aware of that :) I guess it comes down to personal preference / riding style / what you're used too.
Using Tapatalk

KWalker

by KWalker

I haven't met a single RS-1 owner that would buy one again regardless of ability level.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

juuzo

by juuzo

Liggero wrote:It's a noodle, as everyone who has tested it says. Of course, people who payed for it, says it's the best fork in history, as usual. Check the videos on youtube.

And you know that qr is tightened as should in every youtube video? That plays a big role in rs-1. Your arguments has no real sources. I'm glad that I don't need to ride in internet but in real life.

But as said, somebody likes daughter and somebody likes mother. rs-1 vs sid vs fox sc vs dt opm, it's really your personal preference. These all forks will let you go fast.

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

I have used this fork for 2 weeks,in my opinion its a minimal part of time,so my opinion wasn't web opinion. About the stiffness,try to throw out arch from your fork,and tell us,is it as tiff as previous (but,it will be lighter:) )

Chrisisism

by Chrisisism

I ride the Brain version and I am impressed with it. Awesome trail feeling. Can only compare to my Magura and older version of SID, but I would recommend RS-1.
I have no issues at all with it not being stiff enough in twisting.

gfeldy

by gfeldy

Liggero wrote:It's a noodle, as everyone who has tested it says. Of course, people who payed for it, says it's the best fork in history, as usual. Check the videos on youtube. It's a very last season topic already. This is weight weenies, we all know this.

2007 SID is good. SID. all riders will be back to SID for 2017, rock shox already listened and SID is the new XC race top fork.

RS-1 will stay as dentists who eats marketing and thinks the most expensive= the best for sure.

If I had the choice I would go SID all day long. I agree the RS1 is super flexy and a lot of hype. The 2016 and 17 SID wont be drastically different. I plan to convert mine to a 120 and get a new SID to race on next season.
~GFeldy~
S Works Tarmac w/ EPS
S Works Epic HT Blurple tuned
Kitsbow
S Works Epic Blurple tuned - Sold :doh:
FS-i - Sold
Scalpel custom - Sold
EVO - Sold

Liggero

by Liggero

So funny people on the internet defend this fork, as any pro is looking forward to finally be able to ride again a regular SID. You guys are the one who have no clue, who own a piece of shit fork and still praise it. I know like the palm of my hand, the internals of any Rock shox fork since 1995, not to mention to change bushings, seals, etc, and set it up perfectly. I like Rock shox a lot, they offer the best bang for the buck in the market for many years, very good weight, good price, and good performance for cross country. FOX is a bit more plush and DT swiss is for extravaganza of deep pockets, still the best looking and best weight, but yeah, SID and fox 2017 are the best.

RS-1 is a shit, and who ever bought it and just because of that defends it, denies the obvious or what not, hey, still a heavy, expensive and flexy noodle.

LOL! ;-D
Happy Trails !!!

Liggero

by Liggero

Nefarious86 wrote:Fair call, wasn't aware of that :) I guess it comes down to personal preference / riding style / what you're used too.

Personal preference indeed, LOL, if you like the worst as a personal preference, RS-1 is the way to go, RE-LOL...
Happy Trails !!!

Liggero

by Liggero

Last but not least, just to achieve that noodle performance, the RS1 needs a front hub 100g heavier, LOL!

https://www.dtswiss.com/Wheels/MTB-Whee ... -Spline-en
Happy Trails !!!

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Liggero wrote:Last but not least, just to achieve that noodle performance, the RS1 needs a front hub 100g heavier, LOL!

https://www.dtswiss.com/Wheels/MTB-Whee ... -Spline-en

Or you just run a Extralite Hyperwiz for RS1 weighing 99g. Mine has been working flawlessly all season long. For another wheelset I got Sram's own RS1 hub which came in at 155g. Sure it's a bit heavier than then a regular 15mm hub but still quite allright.

Anyway...
As for the fork, I got the 120mm version. I'm a light rider at 74kg but I've been pushing the fork hard on the descents and at least at my weight flex isn't an issue, and for the record I rode downhill for some 12 years or so until recently so I'm used to some very stiff setups. I do find it to have better fore aft stiffness than my SID so that's a very good thing. It's plush and has good small bump sensitivity, I do wish it had a compression adjustment but playing around with the Bottomless Tokens should at least make it ramp up to your liking.

To me it seems like the fork gets so much hate because it's expensive and not GREAT, as in better in every single way than the competition. However, if you don't mind the hefty pricetag and you don't worry about 200-something-extra grams then it's a very good performing fork and as for myself I simply love the looks, honestly that was half the reason for getting one and I haven't regretted it.

I won't be running a RS1 on either of my next two bikes since those will be pure weightweenie 100mm builds, but like I said, if the price and weight isn't an issue and you think it would look great on your bike - get one.

Priit

by Priit

Sheldon Brown site has an interesting article about fork deflection, flex. I guess it applies quite well to the current topic about RS-1.

What's more important: lateral stiffness or longitudinal stiffness?
Now we get to the controversial part. For years, framebuilders' conventional wisdom held that a fork ought to be flexible longitudinally and stiff laterally. People thought that such a fork would have comfort (achieved with forward deflection) and precise handling (due to the lateral stiffness). However, I am presenting a new theory: longitudinal stiffness is more important for precise handling than lateral stiffness, and lateral deflection can measure quite high before a rider will experience handling troubles. There are two reasons I believe this is true.

One is that longitudinal loading must be higher than lateral loading. I say must because I havn't measured a fork during riding to be sure. (This is, after all, just a theory.) Because of gravity, the rider's weight loads the bike almost purely downward, especially in turns. Turning causes virtually no lateral load because a rider leans the bike so that loads are nearly perfectly in plane with the wheels. If he didn't, the bike would fall over. The rider's weight then exerts a larger forward load on the fork than it does a lateral load (on the order of, maybe, three times greater, as a guess.)

Also contributing to the longitudinal load (and very little to any lateral load) are the impacts absorbed when the rider hits bumps. The magnitude and direction of bump forces are related to the speed and direction of the bike, and whether the brakes are applied. Now, we presume that a rider who is in control of the bike always goes forward (never sideways), so the direction of any bump force is fore and aft, not lateral. That takes care of the direction of the bump force. It must be true that the magnitude of the bump force increases with speed. In other words, the faster you go, the harder you hit bumps. No surprises here.

These large fore and aft loads indicate the relative importance of longitudinal stiffness because as the loads increase, the deflection increases, and that changes the fork rake at any given moment. If the fork rake changes, the steering geometry of the bike changes, and the rider has to adjust to the bike's constantly changing feel and response. The only time a rider does load the fork laterally is while tossing the handlebars side to side. This happens out of the saddle of course, during sprinting or climbing, for example.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Liggero wrote:
Nefarious86 wrote:Fair call, wasn't aware of that :) I guess it comes down to personal preference / riding style / what you're used too.

Personal preference indeed, LOL, if you like the worst as a personal preference, RS-1 is the way to go, RE-LOL...

Are you always this much of a dick when you post a reply? I personally find it no more flexible than my Pike once dialled in. So yes personal preference/riding style does play a role.
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRookie

by TheRookie

A friend who is a pretty decent rider has an RS-1 his observations (no editing from me) were as follows:-
1/ Under certain conditions (fast but rough surface) it feels a lot better than a SID, less twangy and with a better damping feel*
2/ For twists and turns it is definitely less stiff than the SID and doesn't track as accurately
3/ Yes it's heavier

Now he uses the RS-1 when he feels its benefits outweigh it's disadvantages and the bike with the SID when its the other way round.

*My take is that could be down to the improved unsprung mass.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956