Brake rotors? Which one?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

stockae92

by stockae92

I am building up a lighter XC wheelset and looking for 6-bolt 160mm rotors.

Apparent I haven't been reading much about them. I saw some that looks like 2-piece rotors, some with Ti bolts, and then there are the different design of the rotor itself.

Which ones are recommended? Doesn't need to the lightest, but leaning slightly towards reliable as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

If you want light then Ashima windcutters or Ai2's are the place to go, also KCNC do some v light Ti rotors if you have a spare £120 to burn (each)

Personally I've been running SRAM centrelines for the last 18months, they're not the lightest but have been quiet and stop well.

Oh and Ti bolts are definitely the way to go
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Tomstr

by Tomstr

My Hope rotors do allright, very loud when wet though.
Ride it like you stole it

DanW

by DanW

Hope X2 Race for light rotors that actually work. Con is the price.

KCNC are the best of the light, cheap rotors but warp horribly with extended braking and are pretty much a write off in the wet.

I am now on the cheapest Shimano jobbies purely for a cheap fit and forget option. Seems many people go the same way- either SRAM or Shimano @ 100g+

stockae92

by stockae92

I am running Shimano XT brakes, should I stick to Shimano rotor or it doesn't matter?

KWalker

by KWalker

Ashima ai2 are cheap, but cutout designs seem to wear through pads faster. They won't stop quite as powerfully as your stock XT rotors, but in most situations they're close enough and you will get used to it.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

TheRookie

by TheRookie

stockae92 wrote:I am running Shimano XT brakes, should I stick to Shimano rotor or it doesn't matter?

Doesnt matter.

I run a cheap and cheerful alligator lightweight disc on the back of mine, has been on for 4-5 years now, works just fine.

On the front I use an A2Z with alloy spider, about 20g heavier but a full braking surface, that's been on about 2 years now.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

joeg26er

by joeg26er

another vote for Ashima Ai2 rotors 160mm
I've used them on sustained braking descents at +20mph - however, I weigh about 145 kitted up on 22lb full suspension bike

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Shimano Ice Tech work the best and Kettle carbon are the lightest. I own both. Everything else falls in between but Formula R1 probably draws the best compromise. (I also own those.)

stockae92

by stockae92

I don't ride that fast :p

I will probably go with RT66 for the price / performance / weight ratio. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

I'm running XX WC with Ai2 rotors. Works great,and brake power is very good. On my opinion,it's very important witch brakes you are using. Avids has more power than Shimano brakes,but that's a bit OT