Where to buy a light weight MTB carbon frame?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DigitalArt

by DigitalArt

Hey guys.

Newbie here :thumbup: just looking for a bit of advice.

I am in the UK and I am after buying a light weight carbon frame but I am not having much luck :(

I have been looking at the On One website which come close but they do not offer me what I am looking for.

I want a 26" carbon frame as close to 1, 1.2kg as possible for a weenie build and some rigid carbon blade forks.

This was my bike as of recent but I am back on suspension forks now having sold the carbon ones on the bike.

I have had this bike down to 9.9kg before (currently 12kg with sus) with a lighter wheelset but really the frame is always going to be holding me back, Cube tells me it weighs 1.8kg so I would like to start there.

My forks weigh 1.8kg and frame 1.8kg, my old carbon forks were 535g, so.. if I can get some forks similar weight and a frame @ say 1.2kg that would be 1.750g saving me 1.850g so that alone would bring my bike without any other mods down to 10.25kg and then I can start to look at other components.

Does anyone know of any UK places to buy such frames?

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

26" wheeled bike are going the way of the dodo. You can build a light 29er and a rigid 29er is far more useable than a rigid 26er. The bigger wheel really helps. I ride rigid only and my old 26" rigid bike are simply hard work of road and slow over rough ground.

motorapido

by motorapido

If your set on a 26" wheel bike,

have a look at RCZ bikeshop, they are in Luxemborg but shipping to the UK is really cheap, they had a load of Bianchi Methanol carbon 26" frames in with ISP at the moment and often have NOS deals, sign up to there newsletter to get better discounts in private sales

DigitalArt

by DigitalArt

Thanks for the info there guys, much appreciated :)

F45

by F45

I just bought a Fuji SLM 2.0 26" C10 carbon frame on the 'bay a few weeks ago. It was around $200 shipped. I don't care about what others are riding; 26 works for me, and I have a nice set of wheels I'm still riding in that size. The frame size 21" and masses 1195 grams without headset, but with hanger and seatpost clamp.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/21-Large-Fuji-S ... SwV0RXsmme

DigitalArt

by DigitalArt

That's helpful thanks F45 :)

TheRookie

by TheRookie

You could keep an eye out for a Kona Scandium frame on eBay, they were circa 1200g and won't be too pricey.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

DigitalArt

by DigitalArt

Cheers Rookie.

I was so tempted with that flyxii one but reading some customer reviews yesterday finally put me off.

I wish On One would do a 26" frame, they do the 29's but everything else I have is 26 so I cant make that jump yet and not even sure I want to.

So I have 3 avenues at the moment, RCZ Bikeshop, Fuji SLM and Kona Scandium, I guess its just a waiting game until one pops up.

Appreciate the advice fellas :)

DanW

by DanW

Shame you are after a rigid as I have a Hi-Mod Scalpel and Lefty XLR carbon that have been lying around for ages now :) 1570g frame and 1270g fork is almost rigid weight though :D

Back on topic, ebay is your best bet as 26 XC race hardtail frames have next to no value nowadays. Tons of options out there but the various models from Cannondale, Merida and Scott always seemed to offer the best geo (for the time) at properly light weight

DigitalArt

by DigitalArt

Thanks for that Dan.

Wow that does look stunning! Shame, I don't think all my 26" stuff would fit on that.

Thanks I will keep looking :)

TheRookie

by TheRookie

You could use a 27.5" frame and accept the slightly lower (by half an inch) BB, the on-one whippet wasn't superlight but can be found in the Evil bay.

That said your bike is heavish for an 1800g frame, I got my HT down to 9.3kg and that was a humble Carrera frame (1735g) with suspension forks (Manitou, the SIDs on my FS are even lighter).

My FS is just over 10kg using most the bits from my HT with the brakes lightened slightly and some weight added by going 10 speed from 9. All built on a budget with mostly used parts.

Looking at the pics, Flows are probably overkill, crests are lighter (I'm using Alpines), and 1x gearing will save you nearly as much as a frame swap.

I thought my Litespeed FS frame was good at sub 2.1kg (without shock) but that Scalpel is a work of art!

DigitalArt

by DigitalArt

DanW wrote:Shame you are after a rigid as I have a Hi-Mod Scalpel and Lefty XLR carbon that have been lying around for ages now :) 1570g frame and 1270g fork is almost rigid weight though :D

Back on topic, ebay is your best bet as 26 XC race hardtail frames have next to no value nowadays. Tons of options out there but the various models from Cannondale, Merida and Scott always seemed to offer the best geo (for the time) at properly light weight

Liking the look of this Dan and curious what you want for it, tried to PM you but couldn't find the PM button, send us a message mate :thumbup:

TheRookie

by TheRookie

pm button is bottom left of each post with profile and email (where available) either side.

DigitalArt

by DigitalArt

Thanks Rookie.

No PM button showing for anyones post on my screen, maybe its cos I am a newbie? I see profile, email and quote far right but no PM for anyones posts :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com