On One Ti Build Help

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

paulgooda

by paulgooda

Hey Guys, I recently acquired an On One 456 Ti Bike at a very cheap price. I always wanted a Titanium Hard Tail and thought I could build this up with some reasonable parts to create a nice looking bike that's reasonably light. I know the frame weight will hold me back a little, but I think with some good choices in parts that I will be able to build it relatively light. This is a bit of a project so trying to build with cheaper parts be it new or 2nd hand parts if possible. I've been out of the scene for about 15 years so a lot has changed for me!

Some specs as follows

456 On One Ti Frame
321 Mavic Rims on XT Hubs
SRAM X9 Rear Mech
LX Front Mech
LX Crankset
XT Brakes and Rotors
SRAM Shifters
FOX TALAS 36 Shocks

So far I've added some bits
Crank Brothers TI Egg Beaters 170g Saving
KCNC Foam Grips 92g Saving
EC90 Handlebar 103g Saving
Cheaper EBay Stem 67g Saving.
Selle SLR Seat and Carbon Seatpost 150g

The biggest saving I think will be swapping the FOX 36 Forks. I think I can get close to 600g saving by moving to a newer FOX32 fork. For me and this bike I think the FOX 36 are a little overkill.
Another large saving would be the wheels, but I'm really unsure what to go for. I like the look of a Crossmax SLR wheelset and have also been looking at some Stans ZTRs or American Classics.
Any other options on wheels?

Any other ideas?

Cheers guys.
Attachments
IMG_20160411_184611.jpg

MikeMoore

by MikeMoore

Not terribly helpful I know, but are the forks a straight steerer? I'd buy them from you if so!
Weight 74.4kg, FTP 303W => 4.04 W/kg

Retired Bikes
Custom 650B Kingdom Double9
Kinesis Aithein / Kinesis Racelight 4S

Current bikes
Reilly Spectre / Cervelo R3
Pivot Les / Pivot Mach4SL
Ventana El Conquistador

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Go 1x11... compared to the triple that's on there... you'll save a ton of weight, and if you can get by with the reduced gear-range, the shifting is better, the Q-factor is better, bike rides more quietly, cleaner looking setup.... etc.

Bang-for-buck it's hard to beat Stans wheels. Either way, get something with a ride rim. If you're doing XC... something around 24mm internal width. Mavic until recently were way behind in this department.

paulgooda

by paulgooda

MikeMoore wrote:Not terribly helpful I know, but are the forks a straight steerer? I'd buy them from you if so!

Hey Mike, I'm not sure. I'm based in Sydney so would be a bit of a mission. I think I might hold onto them for another build.

Cheers

paulgooda

by paulgooda

dwaharvey wrote:Go 1x11... compared to the triple that's on there... you'll save a ton of weight, and if you can get by with the reduced gear-range, the shifting is better, the Q-factor is better, bike rides more quietly, cleaner looking setup.... etc.

Bang-for-buck it's hard to beat Stans wheels. Either way, get something with a ride rim. If you're doing XC... something around 24mm internal width. Mavic until recently were way behind in this department.

Thanks mate, You've got me looking at 1 speed stuff now. I think that would be around a 1 pound saving all up. Just need to find the right crankset at the right price.

Cheers for the great idea.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

No worries! Sorry for typo in my post...I meant "wide rim". Make sure whatever you do for wheels that you set them up tubeless.

If you're going 1x obviously the SRAM stuff has the best gear range (with XD driver body if you're getting new wheels). But if you're on a budget, there are a lot of companies that offer ways to give an older cassette greater range (replacement large cogs)...eg One Up. For real trail riding you'll either need a clutch derailleur and narrow-wide chainring, or run a chain guide.
With Sram eagle xx1 about to hit the shelves, you might find some deals on the older Sram stuff though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk