Does anyone have a Canyon Exceed CF SLX?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

scant

by scant

Hi All. I really like the look, specs, weight & price of this frame, but I havent seen 1 in person, nevermind ridden 1. Does anyone have 1? any thoughts or feedback on the ride & general build quality?

Any pictures of medium frame size bikes, also appreciated :D

juuzo

by juuzo

I ordered cf slx 9.9 race on April and it's coming next wednesday to me. I will post pictures and tell my opinion then. My frame is S size. I was told that Exceed is actually 2017 model and it was kind of pre ordered for this year. Almost all deliveries have been made in June-July or even later.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scant

by scant

thats interesting info, thanks. I look forward to seeing it & hearing what you think of it :)

stoney

by stoney

The Exceed CF SLX is the frame I'd love to have a chance to purchase in the USA once Canyon opens up in 2017. One thing I've noticed though is that all the new redesigned hardtail frames coming out now have the Boost rear spacing (148). The 2017 Scott Scale, Trek Procaliber, etc. have all gone to this standard. So, I think I'll wait to see if Canyon goes this route too before purchasing an Exceed.

juuzo

by juuzo

I don't we will see canyon going boost in 2017 models. Maybe in 2018 but I think that exceed will be as is next year.

juuzo

by juuzo

So I got my exceed cf slx 9.9 race yesterday and made few improvements before first ride. So my frame size is S and I'm 169cm tall. Size is fine but I asked canyon to send me 90mm stem and it will come on friday. I changed saddle to Selle SLR Ti, handlebar to carbon syncros with esi extra chunky grips, trigger shifter to twist shifter, 170mm cranks to 175mm and absoluteblack 32t oval chainring. I also put notubes sealant in tyres and took tubes away.
Today I took it small test ride. First impression with RS-1 fork was awesome. Fork was really smooth with good feedback and response. I like it a lot and I don't see any issues with flexing. Tyres were really slippy but it was little rainy day and tires are new so I will give them a chance. I need few more test rides that I can say more but I will let you know what I think.

And I forgot to mention but weight is 9,51kg like in the pictures but without bottle and garmin. Weight included garmin speed sensor and mount.

Tomek

by Tomek

juuzo wrote:So my frame size is S and I'm 169cm tall. Size is fine but I asked canyon to send me 90mm stem and it will come on friday.

Can you tell a bit more about size. I'm 169cm tall too and I'm afraid S will be too small for me. Effective top tube length for our height should be 580-600 and Exceed S has only 568. Why did you order longer stem? I wonder if M would be a better choice but standover height for M is 791 and it is a little too much. It also seems to be unproportional comparing to other bikes. Could you measure statndover height in your bike?

juuzo

by juuzo

I'm 169cm tall also and I think that S is right size for me. Standover height is something about ~760mm. I felt that bike was a bit too short so I decoded to go with 90mm stem. Now it feels more suitable. I have used to ride about ~570mm toptubes and 100mm stem, but now I will try a little shorter stem but maybe a bit lower position. I think that I could ride M size but height would be a problem in long term.

DanW

by DanW

I can't say standover is something that has ever factored in to my decision making with XC frames... I mean you aren't throwing no foot cans in the middle of a race and it doesn't affect dismounting etc...

Top tube measurements are also very deceptive since it is influences by other things like STA. Reach and stack are what you should be using to compare sizing on different frames.

All that said, the Exceed frames are fairly long or large for a given size so I can see why S or M would have been a toss up for Juuzo. Probably the right choice given that the bar drop is already not that much and another 14mm higher on the M probably wouldn't be that great.

I am currently on a L Santa Cruz Highball with a slammed -17, 80mm stem at 175cm. Reach stack are 429/ 623 on the L SCHB (already reasonably large reach for an XC bike) and on the Exceed it would be a choice of M with 90mm stem or L with 70mm stem (the Exceed is like half a size bigger than SC HB).

If in doubt take the reach and stack of your current bike and plug the Exceed measurements in to the spreadsheet to the right of this page: http://bb2stem.blogspot.com/

scant

by scant

DanW wrote:I can't say standover is something that has ever factored in to my decision making with XC frames... I mean you aren't throwing no foot cans in the middle of a race and it doesn't affect dismounting etc...

Top tube measurements are also very deceptive since it is influences by other things like STA. Reach and stack are what you should be using to compare sizing on different frames.

All that said, the Exceed frames are fairly long or large for a given size so I can see why S or M would have been a toss up for Juuzo. Probably the right choice given that the bar drop is already not that much and another 14mm higher on the M probably wouldn't be that great.

I am currently on a L Santa Cruz Highball with a slammed -17, 80mm stem at 175cm. Reach stack are 429/ 623 on the L SCHB (already reasonably large reach for an XC bike) and on the Exceed it would be a choice of M with 90mm stem or L with 70mm stem (the Exceed is like half a size bigger than SC HB).

If in doubt take the reach and stack of your current bike and plug the Exceed measurements in to the spreadsheet to the right of this page: http://bb2stem.blogspot.com/

the whole geometry comparison IS quite a minefield of uncertainty, even with geometry charts. The medium exceed has 425 reach, yet only 600.3 toptube. if you ignored the reach & just looked at the toptube, you'd assume the exceed was 23 shorter than your large highball.

in all honesty I'd perfectly comfortable on my superfly sl; I'm swayed purely by the weight saving (& headset steering limiter, imho all bikes should have one!). I'd vastly prefer to see a medium frame in person with a tape measure in hand & swing a leg over it, but thats not possible. uncertainty prevails :?

DanW

by DanW

The whole point of using reach and stack is that there is not uncertainty in fit.

TT length of course will always be a minefield. The Exceed *looks* short compared to the SC HB if you look at TT length since the HB has a 1.5 degree slacker STA which is a huge difference. Reach and stack show this very clearly.

The only minefield is having a full sus that fits well and trying to transfer to a hardtail fit (or vice versa) purely by numbers. You can get pretty close but there's a touch more trial and error and uncertainty especially given the different ways manufacturers measure full sus geo.

Aaaaannnyway.... bike looks awesome Juuzo. I am pretty tempted :)

scant

by scant

for a long time mid 80s, 90s & early 00s frame length was purely based on toptube. reach & stack are a fairly recent geometry addition. so yes a minefield of previous potential sizing issues when based on toptube alone.

I guess my uncertainty revolves around the other geometry changes & not knowing how they combine overall (8mm lower BB, 7mm shorter chainstay, 1.5deg steeper seattube, never owned a canyon before etc). again this comes back to not being able to ride the exceed & judge for myself.
Juuzo, anymore rides logged? how does it ride? does it feel stable at speed? does it feel fragile & nervous? or composed?

Its also on my mind that toptubes are getting noticeably longer (with shorter stems) & headtubes slacker, even on lightweight hardtails. Does anyone make a lightweight hardtail frame that runs 65-67deg headtube? even 5years ago I would have laughed at those numbers, how times change.. maybe this is a start for a different topic...

juuzo

by juuzo

Yes I took few more rides and really surprised how stable bike feels when going faster on the trail. Maybe it is fork what makes it feel reliable or just the geometry but anyway really stable feel. Back and forth stiffness of the rs-1 is absolutely nice. I can see improvement over my old reba. And like I said exceed feels very responsive. I can feel how my power transfers to ground and fork can take all the bumps very well. Overall I like it a lot.
Just ordered tune seatpost collar and considering new carbon wheels with tune hubs. I will post more pictures if you like.

juuzo

by juuzo

Few pictures more

juuzo

by juuzo

Yesterday I took little bit racing with my bike in 20km mtb orienteering race. Bike felt really good and fast. I screwed up my race in the fourth checkpoint but trails were so nice that I rode the whole competition. Awesome bike to climb and I'm really happy with the response and feedback of the frame compared to my old bike. Also fork lockout is something much better than my old reba had.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com