Does anyone have a Canyon Exceed CF SLX?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Liggero

by Liggero

Juuzo, the size in the photos is not small for sure, it seems perfect fit. A larger size would we quite quite wrong. I would suggest though to get the thinnest headset cap, then get a -17, or even better -25 degrees stem. Keep the stem lenght or get it 5 or 10mm shorter, if you want, and you are ready to go!
Happy Trails !!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

whatsblue

by whatsblue

Here is my new canyon. It weights 8.160kg as pictured. It's very fast although the forks are taking a bit of setting up. too little air pressure and they react too much to pedal stroke and I end up riding with the lockout on most of the time. Running the rebound very slow too to prevent it being a pogo stick. Im 68kg so I tried adding 100psi and the forks were too hard but not bobbing around to my pedal strokes. Today I ran 90psi and things are getting better but still using the forks locked out for lots of flat or uphill riding as they are too sensitive to pedal strokes.

While descending they can occasionally twist out of line, like when they hit a rock on an off camber. This casues you to correct the line by turning the bars in the opposite direction but after the twist corrects its self, this leave the forks pointing too far in. effectively under steering. Other than that the forks are impressive in all other characteristics.

I've compensated for the weight of the forks (currently weighting 1550g) by using an extralite hyperwiz hub, ditching the quick release for a bolt, 74g -12 deg extralite stem and 90g extralite bar with road tape. No stem cap yet and no dust cover on headset in order to lower bars.
Attachments
can1.jpg
can2.jpg
can3.jpg
can4.jpg

stockae92

by stockae92

man, that's a nice looking bike

Liggero

by Liggero

Beautiful photos, so much better than the photos in the canyon website. The fork might be not perfect at all, but boy, looks amazing. That setup, with upside down bar, road bar tape, stem uber slammed... awesome wheelset. The front hub extralite is RS-1 specific?

Is that a size M? Can't wait to see the 2017 builds. There is also a cheaper Exceed CF SL model, instead of SLX. Supposed to be like 200g heavier, according to media information... And lower price too.

I just hope the 2017 builds have more sid and/or fox, and more 1x options. They will also have new paintjobs.
Last edited by Liggero on Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Trails !!!

Liggero

by Liggero

I forgot, how tall are you? what's your saddle height aproximately? thanks!!

You covered the holes for the bolts for the headset limits with silicon or something? the threads are integrated in the frame right? I read those are to protect the handlebar touching the top tube, so they could make a lighter top tube... with thinner walls... must depend on each exact levers and bar setup I guess. But you managed to get a very low position, very nice for a 29er.
Happy Trails !!!

whatsblue

by whatsblue

Liggero, thanks, yeah Canyon could do better :-) I'm 6ft exact riding a M. My saddle to BB centre is 76cm. Setup is with a 90mm -12deg extralite stem (74g!).

The Canyon crash thing on top tube only weighed 7.5g (bolts are hollow) but removed it anyhow. Their headset cap was too heavy and too much stack height for me anyhow. Filled holes with minimal amount of silicon. Think there's a plate under carbon with threaded holes. For my previous mtb, i just cut the gear and brake lines such that if the bars spin, they were too short to physically allow bars to touch top tube - worked out well and saved weight. Removed rubber plug for front derailleur holes too and sealed it with silicon. I think it is cleaner looking and lighter.

Yes the HyperWiz hub is a new release from Extralite. Really pleased with their enginerering. It's the lightest RS1 hub I know of, plus it is straight pull. Changing the wheelset to be sub 1300g really improved the feel of the bike and made it ride more agile.

Forks are improving in time. I think there is a learning curve, esp as I never used lock out before and always had stiff setup forks with no small bump sensitivity.

I'd like to get the bike under 8kg (currently 8.140 including 2 bottle cages). Next upgrade will probably be eggbeater 11's.

Liggero

by Liggero

still no 2017 models on the Canyon website...
Happy Trails !!!

juuzo

by juuzo

Exceed cf slx is 2017 model so they will not update it this year. Only exceed cf sl will be new cheaper version of their carbon 29" hardtails.

Liggero

by Liggero

juuzo wrote:Exceed cf slx is 2017 model so they will not update it this year. Only exceed cf sl will be new cheaper version of their carbon 29" hardtails.

They will not update anything, Sl is exactly the same, just with more carbon, so it's heavier, cheaper and stronger. All builds will be different, and new. Not even one RS1 build for 2017. Talked with the canyon guys recently in a bike fair, only thing not clear yet is prices.
Happy Trails !!!

Liggero

by Liggero

2017 models are released. I like all those with sram eagle and grip shift, and regular proper sid fork... hum...
Happy Trails !!!

LeePaton

by LeePaton

Hmm upgrade '14 Stumpjumper to eagle or Exceed7.9 Pro Race...

Liggero

by Liggero

LeePaton wrote:Hmm upgrade '14 Stumpjumper to eagle or Exceed7.9 Pro Race...

*f##k* specialized
Happy Trails !!!

stoney

by stoney

Hopefully 2018 Exceeds will be updated for Boost. I'll be due a new frameset in another year but I'm looking for the Boost spacing in the rear.