2017 Specialized Epic... wait what?!?!?! HT?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ChrizZZz

by ChrizZZz

First light HT from Special ICE... nice one!

scant

by scant

The 1989 specialized epic was a rigid xc racing orientated frame, so its not too surprising to see Specialized use the name again in this context. (the 1989 frame was steel lugged, merlin titanium built the later era lugs. Ned Overends 1990 world champs winning frame was a 1 off with a lighter carbon tubes & weighed 2.2lb, not bad for 1990 :) but anyway...

Its interesting that more companies are starting to use steering limiters to prevent frame damage (trek, canyon etc), which I think is a smart move.

2499euros for the carbon frame version. did I read that correctly? if so thats pretty expensive compared to comparable frames like the canyon exceed. so aside from the price, I really like it :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carpetrunner

by carpetrunner

gfeldy wrote:Check out what we found yesterday. It seems to be missing a few bikes but for the most part the good stuff is there.

http://www.speedyshare.com/7NSpN/dealer-catalog-2017.zip

errrr umm - where's the 2017 Enduro? :noidea:

- carpetrunner

DanW

by DanW

Spec/ Giant/ Trek/ etc always have huge prices on their frame only options which makes the full bikes more attractive.

wingguy

by wingguy

DanW wrote:Spec/ Giant/ Trek/ etc always have huge prices on their frame only options which makes the full bikes more attractive.

Huge? A Giant TCR SL frameset is £2k, a Cervelo R5 frameset is £3.5k, Colnago C60 same, Dogma F8 £3.9k...

Or in MTB an XTC SL frame at shop RRP is £1.5k, a direct sale Canyon Exceed is £1.3k, a Niner One RDO is £2.1k, a BMC Teamelite is £2.3k...

DanW

by DanW

Ok, so maybe "huge" is relative and the Spec is particularly daft but those are all pretty insane frame only prices for my wallet (also relative to some of the full bike options they come specced on)

scant

by scant

wingguy wrote:
DanW wrote:Spec/ Giant/ Trek/ etc always have huge prices on their frame only options which makes the full bikes more attractive.

Huge? A Giant TCR SL frameset is £2k, a Cervelo R5 frameset is £3.5k, Colnago C60 same, Dogma F8 £3.9k...

Or in MTB an XTC SL frame at shop RRP is £1.5k, a direct sale Canyon Exceed is £1.3k, a Niner One RDO is £2.1k, a BMC Teamelite is £2.3k...

the direct sale canyon gives an indication of the profit margin the importer/bike shop brands work at. I wont mention brand names, but I was really surprised earlier this year when the trade price of my new long travel FS rig frame was £1100 less than retail.

that said I really like the look of the new epic. I look forward to seeing the full press releases :)

wingguy

by wingguy

scant wrote:the direct sale canyon gives an indication of the profit margin the importer/bike shop brands work at. I wont mention brand names, but I was really surprised earlier this year when the trade price of my new long travel FS rig frame was £1100 less than retail.

Canyon sells their bikes for a higher margin (for themselves) than Giant, Spesh or any other of the major bike companies get.

scant

by scant

wingguy wrote:
scant wrote:the direct sale canyon gives an indication of the profit margin the importer/bike shop brands work at. I wont mention brand names, but I was really surprised earlier this year when the trade price of my new long travel FS rig frame was £1100 less than retail.

Canyon sells their bikes for a higher margin (for themselves) than Giant, Spesh or any other of the major bike companies get.

yup & they're still cheaper than the competition in many cases. bike shops will start to really struggle if more bike companies follow the direct sales model.

wingguy

by wingguy

scant wrote:yup & they're still cheaper than the competition in many cases. bike shops will start to really struggle if more bike companies follow the direct sales model.

Start? :shock:

gfeldy

by gfeldy

wingguy wrote:
scant wrote:yup & they're still cheaper than the competition in many cases. bike shops will start to really struggle if more bike companies follow the direct sales model.

Start? :shock:

Yep, already seeing the factory direct and interweb take over.
~GFeldy~
S Works Tarmac w/ EPS
S Works Epic HT Blurple tuned
Kitsbow
S Works Epic Blurple tuned - Sold :doh:
FS-i - Sold
Scalpel custom - Sold
EVO - Sold

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

scant wrote:The 1989 specialized epic was a rigid xc racing orientated frame, so its not too surprising to see Specialized use the name again in this context. (the 1989 frame was steel lugged, merlin titanium built the later era lugs. Ned Overends 1990 world champs winning frame was a 1 off with a lighter carbon tubes & weighed 2.2lb, not bad for 1990 :)

That is a good point about this being a return to an earlier usage of the Epic name.

Just as importantly though, I don't know if anyone else caught it, but BikeRadar seemed to make some sort of scheduling error on their Epic HT first look article and it popped up yesterday AM. It was only up for a few hours and then got pulled down, but in it they said....the new Epic will be Spz's lightest frame full stop.

As in, the lightest frame they make, including the Tarmac, etc...

I haven't had the chance to look at the dealer catalog links above so apologies if this is already common knowledge but I hadn't seen it mentioned here and this is WW after all.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

I'm liking this new colour.

Getter

by Getter

Noticing the bumper on the downtube. Trek has the "Knock Block". I like the idea. Keeps the levers from potentially damaging the top tube if you're running a low bar.

wingguy

by wingguy

TheKaiser wrote:Just as importantly though, I don't know if anyone else caught it, but BikeRadar seemed to make some sort of scheduling error on their Epic HT first look article and it popped up yesterday AM. It was only up for a few hours and then got pulled down, but in it they said....the new Epic will be Spz's lightest frame full stop.

As in, the lightest frame they make, including the Tarmac, etc...

Makes sense. Scott and some others have been making sub 900g HT frames for years, so if Spesh are aiming to be competitive with them on weight it's going to be lighter than the Tarmac.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com