Treasure restoration or Trash (used bike upgrades)

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

StringingHopper

by StringingHopper

Was at a bike sale for used & consignment bikes, went in with a budget of $1000 ish, and I walked away with a Giant Trance 3 from 2005 for $345. I thought it was a pretty sweet deal as it looked brand new and was told all components were OEM (stock/original?)

I mostly ride a folding bike, but was thinking since I came underbudget I can make this bike alot better for casual riding. Seems to weigh quite a bit, also the Brakes are not good and seem to be leaking or something. I already ordered a Shimano XT m8000 brakeset as I got a good deal on it when I was browsing the web for ideas.

I'm looking to spend another $300ish on any upgrades that you guys think would benefit me. Was leaning towards a Handlebar/Seatpost/Saddle replacement or maybe wheels but thats too expensive. Tires still look good. The Drivetrain feels spot on so probably won't touch that. What you guys think?

thx

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Replace the tyres if they are original 10 year old tyres can look fine and suddenly disintegrate.

As for upgrades, I would ride it for a while and see what NEEDS changing first then work out want budget you have left for the WANT to change.

Which version, I think that year you could get Trances as 1 through 4. If yours has the Duke fork (3 and 4 I think) that would be an early target for me, some had a Reba (Trance 2 for sure) which in decent condition should be competitive enough, upping it to 120mm does no harm if you want to push it more towards trail than XC.

The Trance 2 was 13.2Kg in a review which isnt bad even today for a FS 100mm trail orientated (as opposed to fully XC) bike.

A shorter stem and wider bars would bring it up to date a bit, start off used if you're unsure of sizing you want. In fact I'd be looking for good used parts to be honest as you won't get the money back on new parts strapped on a 10 year old frame.

BY way of inspiration I have a 2006 Litespeed Niota FS which running mostly used parts and some careful 'engineering' is down at 10.1Kg.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StringingHopper

by StringingHopper

Its a Trance 3 (silver one with Duke fork).

Good point on the tire, anything that isn't too heavy for lite duty XC riding since thats the most I would ride, I won't be increasing the travel of the front fork.

I'm gonna ride the bike tomorrow after work to see how I like the setup before I make any hard changes and look out for used parts.