Rockshox factory oil fill levels?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

PJCM

by PJCM

I've purchased a set of new Rockshox Reba forks. Posts on other forums from a few years ago indicate that oil fill levels from new can be inconsistent and that it may pay to open them up to check.

Recent silence online may indicate that this isn't necessary but:
(a) is it worth checking on new forks?
(b) if so, would the leg retaining bolt seal and crush washer require replacement as RS service instructions outline to avoid leaks?

There is visible oil film on both stanchions of mine. My first set of oil/air forks so on a learning curve. Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

Rock Shox forks comes almost totally dry inside. When it's brand new,there can be some oil film,beacouse the installed upper stanchions to lower with a bit of oil on them. There's probably no oil on air chamber,and no greas.

Believe me or not,when I bought my RS Sid WC,I didn't seen much difference between Lock on and lockout position,but after full service it working now very smooth.

You can drop the air from airspring,open it,and check is there any oil inside (but probably not)

PJCM

by PJCM

Thanks, that's pretty disappointing. Particularly on their higher level forks.

Looks like a full strip-down and service is advisable before using them.

SportingGoods

by SportingGoods

No complete stripdown. Keep it simple. You don't even have to remove completely the lowers. Drop the pressure, unscrew the lowers, separate them from the rest of the fork (but not completely) and inject some oil through the bottom of the lowers (upside down) with a syringe. Re-assemble an pump up. Done.

This will get you going for the first 12 month.

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

Looks nice,but what about the seals lubing?

SportingGoods

by SportingGoods

seals are not oiled, they are greased. If you want to grease them then you need a complete stripdown. I wouldn't do that on a new fork, just add oil in the lowers and eventually leave it upside down over a night to get the oil traveling where ever it can!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PJCM

by PJCM

Following up on this post, I checked the lower leg oil levels on my new Rockshox Rebas prior to installation. A few mls of oil drained from the drive-side leg but nothing from the non-drive side. There was a film of oil present on surfaces of the NDS but no surplus. I have topped both up to spec; 5ml of 15wt.

Thanks for the advice.