non-Canonodale carbon frame with lefty fork

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

stockae92

by stockae92

I have seen at least a few carbon bikes with lefty fork, but the frame is not from Cannondale.

I remember back in the days, triple crown fork was not for every frame as it would put additional stress on the head tube.

Wondering if lefty fork is different? Or nowadays carbon frame are strong enough for that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CGT

by CGT

The Lefty is like a double-crown fork, so you should make check with your frame manufacturer if the frame can be run with a Lefty and make sure that it doesn't void the warranty.

wingguy

by wingguy

It'd probably void the warranty but I'd be surprised if it didn't work fine.

Putting a 100mm dual crown XC fork (and riding accordingly) on a bike designed for a 100mm single crown fork is different to putting a 200mm dual crown DH fork (and riding accordingly) on a bike designed for a 160mm single crown fork.

kode54

by kode54

project 321 makes an adapter for putting a lefty fork on another mtb with regular fork. is that what you mean?
there are different Lefty lengths as well...depending on whether or not you have a 26" or 29'r. i believe you can use a spacer for a 650 wheel as well.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Jaker

by Jaker

I've been running Lefty forks on all my CF framed bikes for over 8 years now.

2008 Giant Anthem Advanced
2010 Yeti ASR Carbon
2010 Yeti ASR5 Carbon - current bike

I've never had any trouble breaking frames. I've used the Project 321 adapter, made my own once out of a carbon steerer/stantion assy from a SID World Cup fork, used a custom made adapter from Mattias of Experimental Prototype and my current bike has a Lefty PBR Carbon Ultra 130mm with a steerer from MCFK.

Prior to 2013, the 29er Leftys had travel reduction spacers installed in them for the bigger wheels. So a 90mm travel 29er Lefty was actually a 120mm Lefty with 30mm of travel reduction spacers. My 130 travel Lefty was built as a 100mm 29er Lefty before I bought it, so I simply removed the spacers and now I have a 130mm travel Lefty as it was originally manufactured.

JensW

by JensW

Jaker wrote:I've been running Lefty forks on all my CF framed bikes for over 8 years now.

2008 Giant Anthem Advanced
2010 Yeti ASR Carbon
2010 Yeti ASR5 Carbon - current bike

I've never had any trouble breaking frames. I've used the Project 321 adapter, made my own once out of a carbon steerer/stantion assy from a SID World Cup fork, used a custom made adapter from Mattias of Experimental Prototype and my current bike has a Lefty PBR Carbon Ultra 130mm with a steerer from MCFK.

Prior to 2013, the 29er Leftys had travel reduction spacers installed in them for the bigger wheels. So a 90mm travel 29er Lefty was actually a 120mm Lefty with 30mm of travel reduction spacers. My 130 travel Lefty was built as a 100mm 29er Lefty before I bought it, so I simply removed the spacers and now I have a 130mm travel Lefty as it was originally manufactured.

on the giant the warranty remains intact with a dual crown fork, atleast according to the swedish supplier of giant.

jooo

by jooo

Jaker wrote:I've used the Project 321 adapter, made my own once out of a carbon steerer/stantion assy from a SID World Cup fork, used a custom made adapter from Mattias of Experimental Prototype and my current bike has a Lefty PBR Carbon Ultra 130mm with a steerer from MCFK.

Hi Jaker, did you take any pics when you were making the steerer tube?

DanW

by DanW

It'd probably void the warranty but I'd be surprised if it didn't work fine.

This is true for almost all frames I'd imagine. I can't see manufacturers offering a warranty on something they haven't tested but equally there are many, many people running Leftys on all sorts of frames without any issues.

Putting a 100mm dual crown XC fork (and riding accordingly) on a bike designed for a 100mm single crown fork is different to putting a 200mm dual crown DH fork (and riding accordingly) on a bike designed for a 160mm single crown fork.

Indeed. A 100mm Lefty on a frame designed for a 100mm "normal" fork is exactly the same as a "normal" fork setup plus some mm above the headtube in the place of headset spacers. There is a good thread on MTBR comparing AC heights of various forks including different Lefty versions if you want help selecting the ideal version for your frame

Jaker

by Jaker

jooo wrote:
Jaker wrote:I've used the Project 321 adapter, made my own once out of a carbon steerer/stantion assy from a SID World Cup fork, used a custom made adapter from Mattias of Experimental Prototype and my current bike has a Lefty PBR Carbon Ultra 130mm with a steerer from MCFK.

Hi Jaker, did you take any pics when you were making the steerer tube?

No, sorry I did not. And it was about 8 years ago now.

Jacques

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vilegnus

by vilegnus

there is a trivial way to mount lefty on almost every frame.
project321 or MCFK adapters do a job

my anthem x 29er has an adapter custom made from tapered fork steerer.