29er wheelset for 140kg strong rider

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kavitator

by kavitator

Yes wheelset MTB 29er xc must handle 140kg heavy rider

I was thinking carbon rims 40mm wide, 36 spokes Sapim strong, Hubs: DT350, White Industries, ChrisKing, Shimano ?

HAs anyone experience with this build?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

140KGs? As in 300lbs? Which frame are you riding? A lot of frames have weight limits and even the ones that don't I'd be skeptical with how much abuse it could take at a rider weight that high.

What type of riding are you going to be doing? How are the trails you will be riding on, smooth, rocky, mix? What is your budget?

wingguy

by wingguy

Carbon rims? Yeah... Enve M90s maybe!

Not trying to be rude but, are you being realistic here? (Actually, I assume it's a customer of yours - should you be giving him what he's asking for, or telling him that what he's asking for isn't a good idea?)

juuzo

by juuzo

And I don't think that 40mm wide, xc riding and 140kg would meet in any circumstances... 40mm wide is like 29+ rim width. Here is one option but you have to lose 5kg for this rim http://www.light-bicycle.com/Carbon-bea ... tible.html

Illuminate

by Illuminate

140 - I've been there. White industries with the 15mm chromo axle (vs most with an alloy axle).

Sapim cx_rays have been fine - only popped 2 in 7000km (32h).

I would aim for a rim that is deep section as the triangulation helps it maintain its roundness when under load. If roundness isn't maintained (e.g a flimsy rim), spokes will untension lots at 6 o'clock which adds greatly (massively) to spoke head fatigue.

I use dt Swiss nipple lock applied after the wheel is built and spokes stress relieved. Don't apply this during the build - it sets too quickly and prevents fine tension adjustment after stress relief.

Cheers!

LeDuke

by LeDuke

kavitator

by kavitator

Thanks for reply to all

I contact some manufacturers too - for such weight there is no 100% if wheelset will handle this

Wheels will be for customer on bike Specialized: Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29

Rims 40mm max wide and min 30mm high - so rim absorb energy not spokes
36 spokes sapim cx ray and brass nipples with washers - rim will be better with offset drilling to get high tension ob both sides
HUbs? Hope; White Industry, DT swiss
Tires?

Cost is not important - just to handle this rider (he destroy all wheelset that he has ridden)

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Hope hubs and grid casing tyres.
Using Tapatalk

kavitator

by kavitator

rims: 29er SunRingle MTX33 disc
hubs: Hope
spokes: 36/36 sapim cx ray , brass nipples with washers

i think that will be strong :)

mattr

by mattr

Can you get a steel axle upgrade for the hopes still?

Or is it a through axle on that bike?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

My recepie is different. Velocity do the blunt 35 stiff and wide. Use washer with the rim and 36h drilling.
Lace the rim with sapim force or dt swiss alpine III triple butted spokes to shimano xt m756 hubs or maybe xtr hubs. The older m756 hubs are the tougher of the two. Steel axles and big 1/4" ball bearings.

This will handle your customer weight i suspect your intitial thoughts would be fine for a while then problems will start. Rim cracking is likely as few rims can handle a rider that heavy.

A cheap rim that can handle a heavy load is the rigida sputnik. Heavy and ugly but robust. The sexy components you are looking at are just not made with your rider in mind. It is good solid components for the tourist or tandem rider you need.

Cx rays maybe a good spoke but a wider elbow extends fatigue life. Sapims fatigue tests show good results for the cx ray but they are loaded vertically so failure is in the mid section. Spokes don't fail that way in a wheel they fail at the elbow mostly so a 2.2 or 2.3mm diameter at the elbow is important.
Last edited by bm0p700f on Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kavitator

by kavitator

bm0p700f : thanks i will try go with components you suggested

About spokes - wont be better if spokes will be more elastic - so in lower position where spoke tension drops they dont loose tension so mush like stiffer spokes?
Also i will put washers under spoke head so spoke is tight at flange

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The thinner spoke thing is a red herring I think. Thinner spokes are not as stiff so the tension changes they experience will be bigger and that means a higher rate of fatigue. No way around that. Tension changes on spokes/wheel are directly related to the stiffness of the components. This is why when using thin spoke the rim has to be very stiffer and ideally offset drilling so spokes can't loose tension. Also the braking load is taken by the spokes with disc brakes. 140kg rider with 203mm rotors probably will be applying alot of a braking torque. the torsional stiffness of the wheel will need to very high. Lace the wheel 4x!

No need to washer a 2.3mm diameter spoke at the elbow in a spoke hole 2.5mm diameter. It already will be tight.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

I'd agree on 4x build, spoke wise I'd suggest 1.8 butted spokes they loose nothing over 2.0 due to the improved material properties.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

And that is what i suggested with the sapim force 2.0/1.8/2.2mm or dt swiss alpine III 2.0/1.8/2.3mm those spokes are 1.8mm in the mid section.

Although sapim do the strong spoke which is 2.0mm and 2.3mm at the elbow. Used on heavly loaded tourist or tandem bike wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com