How often do you need to bleed the hydraulic disc brakes?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

stockae92

by stockae92

Just wondering how often do you have to bleed hydraulic disc brakes for a cross country bike?

Nothing crazy and no heavy AM or DH bike, just cross country bike. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

caballero

by caballero

once installed and bled, I'd run them until they change feel, become spongy or contaminated.

Maybe replace fluid once a season.

mattr

by mattr

I do it yearly, once the bike comes out of winter storage. Gets a complete once over. Pretty much strip down, clean and rebuild with new parts (where needed) and new grease/lubricant/copperslip.
During the year (if they were filled properly when last done) they are effectively a sealed system, new pads might be needed, but nothing else.

Training/winter bikes i generally just leave them until they either break or i have an issue. So maybe every 2 or 3 years.

They still never need bleeding. Just new fluid.

What brakes do you have anyway?

TheRookie

by TheRookie

My old M765's weren't touched for about 4 years, other than 3 sets of pads.

No real need to change the fluid in a sealed system either.

So if you want to bleed (flush the fluid, no mileage in just checking it's 'full') that's fine, but you shouldn't NEED to.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

stockae92

by stockae92

The reason I am asking is that the front brake (older XTR disc) of my MTB is losing feel. I am wondering if I should buy a bleed kit (if i have to do it often), or just take it to the LBS if I only need to do it once every 5 yr :)

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

In my opinion,brake fluid shp=ould be changed in normal riding twice a year<not only bleed,but totally changed. I heard,that very good riders(not only pros),changing fuid twice a month.

afalts

by afalts

I have xtr's and flush the fluid every month. It gets dirty. Do I notice a difference? Not really. But the first bit of fluid that comes out of the caliper is always quite murky. fwiw, I ride my mtb about 30-40 hours per month in mostly dusty conditions with a couple muddy rides per month. Part of the reason all my bikes have shimano brakes; quick and easy to bleed with the funnel and a drain hose at the caliper.

I consider it preventative maintenance. Same with servicing lowers on my fork every 2-3 weeks. There, I do notice a difference however. Nothing like fresh slick honey!

kode54

by kode54

good to know. i myself thought that a sealed hydraulic is good for several years...but i suppose it depends on the riding conditions and moisture in the air.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Most the muck that appears in the fluid is just contamination that is already inside the system and makes no actual difference

afalts

by afalts

Source/proof?

Working as a mechanic for over 10 years it has always been told to me through various trainings and discussions that it is due to dirt/brake dust (and moisture too) seeping in through the moving pistons in the caliper. Yes, sometimes fluid comes gunky from the factory, which is why every bike I build get a flush before riding.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

No more proof than any other hypothesis.

If water/gunk/muck is getting in past the calliper seals, why is the brake fluid (under significant pressure when braking) come out........a lot more......makes no sense to me.

Oswald

by Oswald

Seems like a waste of time to me. Just do it when the brakes start to feel different.

afalts

by afalts

I hope you're kidding - but considering the number of mechanicals I see at races, I'm not surprised. By then it could be too late if you are in the middle of a long race/ride. It's called preventative maintenance for a reason. Not 'wait until something goes wrong' maintenance.

mattr

by mattr

Once a month is called paranoia.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CGT

by CGT

mattr wrote:Once a month is called paranoia.

This.