Orange, Stan's or other sealant?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Which sealant do you guys use, and why? Is there any difference in total weight added from different seals, and of course, in how good they seal?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jaker

by Jaker

I've only just recently started using the Tune One Shot stuff. Only got it a couple weeks ago. We'll see if their claims about it not drying up as fast as Stan's or other brands are real. So far so good, no catastrophic failures or tires falling to bits. No unsealed punctures (maybe no punctures, who knows these days).

MikeDee

by MikeDee

HaakonJohansen wrote:Which sealant do you guys use, and why? Is there any difference in total weight added from different seals, and of course, in how good they seal?

I use Orange Seal for now. Doesn't make boogers like Stan's. It also contains no corrosive ammonia.

wideaid

by wideaid

I recently noticed Slime has entered the tubeless sealant category. I got a promotional bottle (3 oz) from Art's when I bought a new tire. Still running if you want to get in on it.

No problems so far, but I also haven't flatted yet. They claim it lasts 6 months and isnt corrosive.

From my experience, Stan's lasts longer than orange seal but orange seal seals a bit better.

MileHighMark

by MileHighMark

Slime has had tubeless sealant for quite some time. It definitely outlasts Stan's, but doesn't seal as well. I've found that mixing it with Slime's auto sealant (the one with the bits of ground-up rubber) helps improve sealing.
GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Junior7

by Junior7

Already used several times Stan and never had any problems.

rschenkels

by rschenkels

switched from Stan's to caffélatex and this is good stuff and no stanimals in the tyre ;-)

scant

by scant

I switched from Stans to Joes Sealant, purely as it seals thorn type punctures considerably faster

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

"stanimals". Lol.
I ride with some OrangeSeal, but only use it if I puncture (not before). Has worked fine the couple times I've needed it and on one tire I got a puncture a couple of weeks later and sealed up on the go. If I do puncture I'll add about 15ml. Haven't had enough punctures to really compare fairly one against the other. But I don't like the pressurized sealants like PIttstop. I carry a small pump.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

JensW

by JensW

have used stans in like over 10 years with good results. Have just bought there new sealant that handle bigger puncture and seals faster. the only downside is that it can't be injected thrue the valve

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

I ended up with the standard sealant from Stans, because it's the only one my lbs have at the moment.

JensW wrote:have used stans in like over 10 years with good results. Have just bought there new sealant that handle bigger puncture and seals faster. the only downside is that it can't be injected thrue the valve

Is this the "race" version?

Calnago wrote:"stanimals". Lol.
I ride with some OrangeSeal, but only use it if I puncture (not before). Has worked fine the couple times I've needed it and on one tire I got a puncture a couple of weeks later and sealed up on the go. If I do puncture I'll add about 15ml. Haven't had enough punctures to really compare fairly one against the other. But I don't like the pressurized sealants like PIttstop. I carry a small pump.

Do you use thick walled tires?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

No, I've been using primarily Veloflex Carbons or Arreneberg/Roubaix. On my rain bike I use Conti Comps 25mm, not because I think they're more puncture proof but because I think the rubber compound and dotted tread just seems really good in water. I also carry a spare tubular always but I would never use a Conti as a spare because they're hard enough to get on the rim in a controlled environment let alone if it's cold and wet outside with numb fingers.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Roundabout

by Roundabout

Orange Seal, standard formula, in all my tires (road, cx, and xc mtb) for years. Zero flats on mtb or cross, only ever had one cut on the road that was too big to seal and nothing would've saved it. The downside to it sealing so well is you need to check your tires every few weeks to see what kind of weird stuff is partially embedded in them...

caballero

by caballero

Not on the mtb, but I treat my tubulars with orange seal. Not had a flat in the last 6months. Touch wood !

JensW

by JensW

HaakonJohansen wrote:Is this the "race" version?

correct

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com