12 mm rear axle "sticking" when locked?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I'm not sure how to describe the problem that I encounter.

On my bike (a CX bike, but with a 12 x 142 mm rear axle, which is why I ask here), the rear wheel becomes very tight when I pedal forwards or backwards. Whenever I loosen the rear axle, the sticking stops.

Any ideas?

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Sounds like one of two things:

1) Freehub problems (mechanism).

2) Binding or worn bearings in the freehub.

What hub?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

headtube

by headtube

Could be something as simple as the quick release springs (if fitted) the wrong way round.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

It's a Notubes Neo hub (team edition).

I'd be a bit surprised if it's a bearing, since I haven't really ridden them in the snow (salt) very much. There are no quick release springs (Focus RAT axle).

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a closer look at the hub later today.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Hmmm. I actually think it's the freewheel bearings. On both the rear wheels I have. Which is really annoying, since I haven't put THAT many kilometers into the bike.

I have noticed that the rear axle have been wet a couple of times when I pulled it out. Maybe water gets into the hub through the axle somehow?
Last edited by the_marsbar on Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Probably a silly question but have you removed the cassette recently? I ask as I had a similar issue when the cassette lockring wasn't seated properly and fouled on the frame when the axle was tightened. It wasn't apparent that it wasn't seated properly from initial install and had me perplexed for a while. Wasn't until I changed wheel sets and hence cassettes that figured it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I'm 99% sure it's the freewheel bearings. On both wheels unfortunately. I'm just surprised how this can happen so quickly (bike is from October).

headtube

by headtube

Still under warranty? Should be serviced or replaced for free.

DanW

by DanW

Bearings are not normally covered under warranties. Hard to prove a manufacturing fault and they cost peanuts to buy anyway.

headtube

by headtube

DanW wrote:Bearings are not normally covered under warranties. Hard to prove a manufacturing fault and they cost peanuts to buy anyway.

Understood. But six months old should warrant some kind of customer service if the hub/bearings are failing already.

wingguy

by wingguy

Dude you could easily ride two sets of wheels into oblivion in 6 winter months with the right kind of abuse.

And while there's not always a linear relationship between use/mileage and bearing wear (the right bit of water or dirt ingress can screw everything up very quickly) if it is happening on two different wheels at the same time that would usually indicate that it is either the way they're being used or that they're just too cheap to last.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DanW

by DanW

Agreed wingguy. Top tip is to always pull apart hubs when new and thoroughly grease/ pack bearings to be sure it is done properly. Same for forks and other stuff too, especially Fox where I've had two pairs supplied almost dry.