Grease or carbon paste on integrated headset?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DuncanS2

by DuncanS2

I think it is to avoid having fibre grip oozing down into the hesdset.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

You'd have to slop on a whole tube to have that happen.
Plus there an o ring seal on the upper cover. So, no....that's not it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

goodboyr wrote:You'd have to slop on a whole tube to have that happen.
Plus there an o ring seal on the upper cover. So, no....that's not it.

I agree, fiber-grip is not really an "oozy" sort of consistency, and the upper cover will protect the bearing. So, if it is appropriate to use where the stem clamps a carbon bar, why on earth would it be inappropriate to use where that same stem clamps a carbon steerer tube?

In the YouTube comments accompanying that video someone posted this:
Cervelo says you should use carbon paste on the steerer. Page 24 of my Cervelo User's manual from 2011 says: "Cervelo strongly recommends the use of carbon assembly compound/friction paste for all areas of clamping to carbon fiber such as the seatpost to frame, the stem to fork, and the handlebar to stem joints."

So there is at least one manufacturer who actually suggests its use.

There is also a comment from a guy claiming fiber-grip ruins any surface it is used on. Have any of you ever seen any scarring from the particles in the paste?

wingguy

by wingguy

TheKaiser wrote:There is also a comment from a guy claiming fiber-grip ruins any surface it is used on. Have any of you ever seen any scarring from the particles in the paste?

Yeah. That's what it's supposed to do.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

wingguy wrote:
TheKaiser wrote:There is also a comment from a guy claiming fiber-grip ruins any surface it is used on. Have any of you ever seen any scarring from the particles in the paste?

Yeah. That's what it's supposed to do.

I just did some digging and apparently there is substantial variation in the carbon assembly paste products on the market, and I hadn't laid hands on the more aggressive versions. Tacx and FSA use a much finer particulate which does not pit the surface to anywhere near the same degree as the Finish Line or especially the Park products. Additionally, Motorex uses a formula without any grit at all, which they describe thusly:

Motorex Carbon Grease is unique for a number of reasons. Most notable is that it lacks the suspended particulates you'll find in typical carbon assembly paste. Where the others use these microspheres to increase the traction between the slick finishes of carbon parts, the Motorex formula relies on a special ability to increase friction under high pressure. The difference is chemical rather than physical, yet the result is the same -- you'll increase the grip between parts and lessen the torque needed to attain the proper performance. Since it lacks the abrasive particulates, Motorex Bike Carbon Grease will not damage the glossy finish of your carbon parts.

wingguy

by wingguy

TheKaiser wrote:Additionally, Motorex uses a formula without any grit at all, which they describe thusly:

Sounds like other liquid torque formulas, which are kinda like weak locktite.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

wingguy wrote:
TheKaiser wrote:Additionally, Motorex uses a formula without any grit at all, which they describe thusly:

Sounds like other liquid torque formulas, which are kinda like weak locktite.

Yeah, could be. Are the formulas, with which you are familiar, able to be repositioned repeatedly? Most of the locktite products I have seen kind of "dry" or "cure' and go from liquid to sold, after which they loose most of their locking properties. I haven't gotten a look at the instructions for this Motorex stuff, but there is a picture of it smeared side by side on a glass plate at this link (http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/tech-n-sp ... wMD13qYGC4), which I have also tried to paste (no pun intended) below. Lack of grit should make it obvious, but Motorex is on the left and brand X with grit is on the right.
Attachments
Motorex Carbon Paste.jpg

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Due to the nature of fitment of a headset, the argument seems academic, it ain't going nowhere so no gripper paste is required surely? Worse case is if the bearing seizes in which case if that spins the Headset part in the frame it's probably better doing it without grinding (gripper) paste, a bearing lock (strangely applicable name that) would seem to make more sense for the application if you think something is needed?

Myself I just use a tiny wipe of grease to help prevent water getting in the joint and causing issues.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

wingguy

by wingguy

Oh god yeah, definitely no carbon paste of any kind on the bearings. That would be all kinds of crazy :P The discussion just moved on to whether to use it on stem clamping surfaces.

Kaiser - I don't know what those compounds do after they've been positioned once, sorry.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

I usually use just a very thin bit of grease applied with a finger on the bearings. This is to prevent corosion when I sweat all over them :)

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Just in case anyone else finds this via search, I just stumbled upon another non-gritty carbon grip paste: http://www.effettomariposa.eu/en/products/carbogrip/

They are even saying you can use it on MTB grips, tubeless tire beads to prevent burping, and on bolts as a threadlock, so it sounds pretty versatile.