Giant xtc advanced sl questions

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Sam56

by Sam56

Hi, I just bought a used Giant xtc advanced sl. I'm a little bothered that this bike feels heavier than my previous bike(scott scale 20 2011).
These are the components:
Frame: Giant carbon frame 2011
Fork:Rock shox sid world cup 2009 without carbon crown.
Wheels: Shimano XT rims and hubs 2010
Gears: Shimano XT 3x9 speed probably 2009
Brakes: Shimano XT
Seatpost: Pro XCR Carbon
Handlebar: Pro XCR Carbon 660mm riserbar
Saddle: Pro Turnix
Stem: Pro XCR alloy 110mm
Grips: Pro foam grips weight 80grams

The bikes weight is about 10 kg and the scott was about 9.5-9.6 kg. Those numbers aren't very accurate, weighed on a normal body weight scale.
When I pick it up with my hand it feels quite a bit heavier than the scott.

My previous bike(scott scale 2011) was all original except wheels changed to mavic x717 disc on american classic hubs, saddle changed to fizik tundra m3 carbon(which is actually heavier than the original).
I would like to get it down to 9.5 kg but even lower would be better of course.
I need help with a way to lower the weight, preferably a cheap way.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sam56

by Sam56

Anyone? I dont understand what is making the giant heavier when it has pretty much everything in carbon except for the stem,
and the sid wc fork should be lighter than fox. I cant find the weight of the giant carbon frame anywhere, but im guessing its heavier than scott. I suspect the wheels and the frame are the culprits. I just ordered a pair of kcnc qr skewers and kcnc eva foam grips which should save me 155 grams according to my calculations.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Well no idea what was on your Scott, but
1 foam grips should be nearer 20 than 80g
2 XT wheels are t that light, nor are XT brakes
3 Pro XCR parts aren't that light, for example the seatpost is about 230g when competitive would be about 180g.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

rapsac

by rapsac

My alu XTC 29, size large, weighs 9.2 kg. So I guess you need lighter parts. The adv sl frame is very light.

Sam56

by Sam56

TheRookie wrote:Well no idea what was on your Scott, but
1 foam grips should be nearer 20 than 80g
2 XT wheels are t that light, nor are XT brakes
3 Pro XCR parts aren't that light, for example the seatpost is about 230g when competitive would be about 180g.

Thanks for replying. Here are the specs for the scott:
Frame & Fork
Frame Construction Carbon
Frame Tubing Material Scale Carbon
Fork Brand & Model Fox 32 F100 RL, 100mm travel

Components
Brakeset Avid Elixir R brakes, Avid Elixir R levers, magura 160mm rotors
Shift Levers Shimano XT
Front Derailleur Shimano XT, clamp on
Rear Derailleur Shimano XT
Crankset Shimano XT, 42/32/24t teeth
Bottom Bracket Shimano SM-BB71-41A
BB Shell Width 89.5mm
Rear Cogs 11 - 36 teeth
Chain Shimano CN-HG74
Seatpost Scott RC 03-60, 34.9mm diameter
Saddle Fizik tundra M3 carbon rails
Handlebar Scott Hot Rod
Handlebar Stem Scott Pro
Headset 1 1/8" Ritchey Pro

Wheels
Hubs American classic
Rims Mavic xc 717disc
Tires Front: 26 x 2.1'' Schwalbe Racing Ralph EVO, Rear: 26 x 2.1" Schwalbe Rocket Ron EVO

1.The pro foam grips have a lock on thing on the inside so they do wheigh 80g.
2.Just found out that the xt wheels wheigh a little over 2100g so im guessing thats a couple hundred grams heavier than the Mavic 717. Good point about the brakes I wasnt thinking about that, just found this: avid elixir r weight 375 grams Include lever, caliper, rotor and hardware, does that mean both front and rear? Anyone know the weight of xt brakes, just keep finding conflicting info.
3.About the pro stuff, yeah i know but they are still much lighter than scott stock.
Scott seatpost:298g Pro xcr:227g
Scott Handlebar:282g Pro xcr:158g
Scott stem:dont know Pro xcr:100mm 120g

Also i forgot to mention i have specialized fast track 2.2 tyres on on the giant, dont know if those are heavy.

Any ideas on how much the mavic wheels on the scott could have weighed?
The wheels and brakes are no doubt heavier on the giant but shouldnt that be compensated by the fork, seatpost and handlebar beeing lighter?
Last edited by Sam56 on Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam56

by Sam56

rapsac wrote:My alu XTC 29, size large, weighs 9.2 kg. So I guess you need lighter parts. The adv sl frame is very light.

Wow, how did you make it so light? Mine is 26 but also large. Is that weight with or without pedals and bottle cages? My weight of 10kg is without, with its 10.4kg. How much did your bike weigh stock? Do you mind posting your component list?

I found a pair of new ztr crest wheels on ebay for 205 pounds + shipping, is that a good price? Getting those I would save 600g. That alone would get me to where I want to be. That would also alow me to switch the xt rotors which weigh over 130g each to quazar, ashima or something else light since the ztrs have 6 bolt hubs, which would save me roughly 130 more grams.

I just dont know if its worth spending that much money on this bike.

DanW

by DanW

1) Weight what you have
2) Find accurate weights of things you may "upgrade" to

Anything else is guesswork

General rule: Go nuts with KCNC/ Mt Zoom type parts and you should end up with something light without spending too much money

Sam56

by Sam56

DanW wrote:1) Weight what you have
2) Find accurate weights of things you may "upgrade" to

Anything else is guesswork

General rule: Go nuts with KCNC/ Mt Zoom type parts and you should end up with something light without spending too much money

Thanks for the advice, I allready orderd kcnc skewers and grips, but Im not sure how durable stuff from those brands is. I only weigh 69kg but I ride pretty hard(daily), so Im not sure if that stuff will hold up. The Shimano Pro parts Im sure are pretty durable since I know some professional riders use them on their bikes. So Im a little reluctant to change them.
I think I will just go for the stans wheelset together with new rotors.

Im wondering which low weight rotors are the most durable? I dont weigh that much so I dont need that much stopping power.

rapsac

by rapsac

Sam56 wrote:
rapsac wrote:My alu XTC 29, size large, weighs 9.2 kg. So I guess you need lighter parts. The adv sl frame is very light.

Wow, how did you make it so light? Mine is 26 but also large. Is that weight with or without pedals and bottle cages? My weight of 10kg is without, with its 10.4kg. How much did your bike weigh stock? Do you mind posting your component list?

http://www.mountainbike.nl/forum/viewto ... 4&t=113719

Liggero

by Liggero

a photo si better than a thousand word. Do you have photos of the bikes we can compare and tell you where the overweight is?

Only if you really want us to solve the issue. If you don't, please keep it just in words and upload no photo. thanks!!
Happy Trails !!!

TheRookie

by TheRookie

M785 XT brakes are about 290g an end (lever, hose, calliper), Elixir R are about 245 for the same (use Sicklines.com for component weights as measured, or the database on here in the forums).

Plenty of good light bits on EvilBay cheap. My Bike hasn't cost a fortune but is a 9.9Kg FS (26" admittedly).

Push on foam grips, 20g, 1x gearing, lighter wheels (2.1Kg is HEAVY even for a 29er) - I would estimate that your old wheel and tyre combo was nudging a Kilo lighter than the new, Spesh don't quote tyre weights but the weights I've seen aren't great. Lightweight brake discs as well.

By the way cheaper carbon is often heavier than quality Al.....

DanW

by DanW

but Im not sure how durable stuff from those brands is. I only weigh 69kg but I ride pretty hard(daily), so Im not sure if that stuff will hold up.

More than durable. Companies like KCNC have allowed you to pick three out of light, cheap, strong (for XC).

If you are in the UK then I'd recommend Clee Cycles and XCracer as light XC dedicated web shops. Dulight.fr and R2-Bike are my other sources of light cheap stuff.

Ebay also has some gems like 135g/ £50 seatposts (Climax- yes daft name but great posts) which are super durable and Kalloy Uno stems which will be under 90g/ £25 with Ti bolts. Easy to remove logos from both.

The Shimano Pro parts Im sure are pretty durable since I know some professional riders use them on their bikes. So Im a little reluctant to change them

There is nothing special about Pro stuff. Pro riders use what they are paid to ride and Mt Zoom/ KCNC type bits have podiumed at the World 24 hour champs with guys who have to buy their own stuff so you be confident :thumbup:

Im wondering which low weight rotors are the most durable? I dont weigh that much so I dont need that much stopping power.

KCNC Razor are about as light as you can go and still keep reasonable braking (74g), but I much prefer Hope X2 Race (80g), especially when you factor in UK mud and slop

TheRookie

by TheRookie

I like Alligator, the 3 I have (two on the commuter and on the rear of the MTB) are all 4 years old and working fine, on the front I use an A2z with alloy spider, similar weight to Hope but cheaper and not floating so last longer.

Sam56

by Sam56

Liggero wrote:a photo si better than a thousand word. Do you have photos of the bikes we can compare and tell you where the overweight is?

Only if you really want us to solve the issue. If you don't, please keep it just in words and upload no photo. thanks!!

Ok, here are some pics:ImageImage
rapsac wrote:
Sam56 wrote:

http://www.mountainbike.nl/forum/viewto ... 4&t=113719

Thanks, that looks great.
TheRookie wrote:M785 XT brakes are about 290g an end (lever, hose, calliper), Elixir R are about 245 for the same (use Sicklines.com for component weights as measured, or the database on here in the forums).

Plenty of good light bits on EvilBay cheap. My Bike hasn't cost a fortune but is a 9.9Kg FS (26" admittedly).

Push on foam grips, 20g, 1x gearing, lighter wheels (2.1Kg is HEAVY even for a 29er) - I would estimate that your old wheel and tyre combo was nudging a Kilo lighter than the new, Spesh don't quote tyre weights but the weights I've seen aren't great. Lightweight brake discs as well.

By the way cheaper carbon is often heavier than quality Al.....

I would love 1x gearing but I think that would be to expensive for now. Yeah I figure I would lose at least 600g by switching to stans wheels, and I think thats what I will do first since it would save me the most weight. I had some ESI Chunkys on my Scott and I really liked those, now Im hoping the Kcnc Evas I ordered will be comfortable enough for longer rides.

@DanW: Thanks for the info, Im from Sweden though but we have our fair share of bad weather here as well :) I have a pair of Nokian xtreme for the winters here.
I just found out that there is an online shop here in Sweden that stock Kcnc parts, had no idea, I allready ordered a pair of their skewers from someone from England of Ebay. :o I feel more confident now about changing to kcnc/mt zoom seatpost and bar after reading a bit on this forum.
I was thinking of getting the discs replaced right away but I will just wait until I get some new wheels since shimano has centerlock.
TheRookie wrote:I like Alligator, the 3 I have (two on the commuter and on the rear of the MTB) are all 4 years old and working fine, on the front I use an A2z with alloy spider, similar weight to Hope but cheaper and not floating so last longer.

Thanks, I will factor that in as well.

Sam56

by Sam56

Oh yeah, I have forgotten to ask. Do you guys count pedals and bottle cages as part of the weight of the bike? I am looking at getting a pair of those chinese carbon ones(bottle cages) I found on ebay.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com