Giant xtc advanced sl questions

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

CGT

by CGT

Do you ride your bike without pedals and bottle cages?

Sam56

by Sam56

CGT wrote:Do you ride your bike without pedals and bottle cages?

I have never been in a position where I have been worried about wheight at all before, so I just wasnt sure if you would since bike manufacturers dont include them hence the weight stated is without. I have only got in to this weight watching thing since I got my Scott last year, it has kind of taken me over since :) I always thought the weight the manufacturers state is what counts. Lights and fenders are not included though, right?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Sam56 wrote:I would love 1x gearing but I think that would be to expensive for now.

Not at all expensive, at its very cheapest it's buying a narrow wide chainring and some single ring length bolts, about €40, I've been running like that with an 11-34 9speed cassette for about 18 months, I'm now going ten speed still using my 9sp XTR rear mech but combined with a 10 speed ROAD flat bar shifter and a Sunrace MX3 chainring, that will add another €120 (Cassette, shifter and chain).
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

DanW

by DanW

Manufacturers weights are utter bobbins, especially on complete bikes. Don't worry what they do. Some exclude hangers, axles even paint :wink:

The days of throwing on 300g paper thin tyres and leaving off pedals to claim internetz pointz thankfully seem to be behind us :D I (as most people do) weigh the bike as ridden, pedals, Garmin, frame protection and all. It makes no sense to spend a ton of money on the latest and greatest light stuff if the bike you ride is significantly heavier. There are a few member here who have integrated tools in to top caps etc and thing like that are clever weenisms that transfer in to the real world :thumbup:

Sam56

by Sam56

Thanks everyone, you have been very helpful. I will be looking back to this thread when I have some money for upgrades and decide where to start.