Clavicula dp 1X10 setup.

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Erhar

by Erhar

I'm currently running a 2X10 (44x32) set up on my clavicula dp combined with a 26-11 sram red cassette (i'm using this setup on my bad boy). I've been thinking of converting my setup to 1X10 using a narrow wide 38T chainring. The chainring will be installed in the inner side of the cranks. Therefore a bashguard needs to be used in the outer side in order to avoid cranks damage. Which one would you suggest so as to be as light as possible?
Also what do you think would be the best narrow wide chairing choice? So far Praxis chainrings have drawn my attention.
Thanks in advance for your answers.

scant

by scant

absolute black?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Erhar

by Erhar

I suppose you're talking about the chainring. What about a super light bashguard?

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

Chainline may not be so great with only one chainring. I have the same issue now trying to convert my Clavicula. Different frames so you may be ok.

As for the lightest bashguard:

http://www.dulight.fr/en/home/613-speci ... anket.html

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

I use a lightweight bash, bought some 2mm carbon plate off ebay and cut it myself, took time and patience (and some filing in the tight curves) and it's 26g and works as a bash (which the one above won't), to be honest if considering that one I'd just go to 4 shaped carbon washers at the bolts, would be lighter still.

On Shimano 2x to 1x conversions it's common to swap the NDS spacer to the drive side to get the chainline right (OK with slightly offset pedals, but 2.5mm isn't much!), not familiar enough with these to know if that is possible.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

Erhar

by Erhar

I've seen photos of clavicula dp with one chainring in the inner position. I also read in thm carbones webpage that you may use the dp version with one chainring as long as you use a bash guard in order to protect the carbon spider from being damaged due to direct touch with the chainring bolts.
I can't understand the chainline issue that may occur since your chainrings are practically in the same position, except that the outer one is replaced by a bashguard or a tab shim.

DanW

by DanW

It is worth checking with Clav but I think you just need a small washer too sit between the crank arm and chain ring bolt. I wouldn't want a full bash personally plus it'll be much lighter/ cleaner look/ cheaper

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Erhar wrote:I can't understand the chainline issue that may occur since your chainrings are practically in the same position, except that the outer one is replaced by a bashguard or a tab shim.

Simply that the single chainring is not on the optimum chainline assuming equal usage of highest and lowest gears, it will have a greater angle to one than the other, the greater the angle the faster things wear, so better to have the chainring properly aligned with the middle of the cassette.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

Erhar

by Erhar

Does anybody know if a bashguard offers the same protection to the carbon crank spider as if using carbon washers? I thought it would be the same as the only danger is the direct contact of bolts with the crank's spider. My mechanic told me that only the bashguard offers real protection due to the fact that the stress produced to the crank spider while pedaling is distributed equally to the spider only when using a bashguard (ring).
What are your opinions?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

CX1 chainring blacked out? Chainline issue sorted.
Using Tapatalk

CGT

by CGT

Erhar wrote:My mechanic told me that only the bashguard offers real protection due to the fact that the stress produced to the crank spider while pedaling is distributed equally to the spider only when using a bashguard (ring).
What are your opinions?

Utter bullsh*t. Your mechanic doesn't sound like the sharpest tool in the shed.

Erhar

by Erhar

Any other opinions?

CGT

by CGT

Why do you need other opinions? It must be abundantly clear that tab washers/shims offer the same function as a bash in terms of distributing the tightening force from the chainring bolts over the tabs. It's hardly rocket science...

Erhar

by Erhar

Okey let me be a little bit more specific. The fact that the carbon washers provide the same protection as a bashguard in terms of distributing the bolts tightening force is clear. What I' d like to be sure about is whether they provide the same protection in terms of distributing the pedaling force. Maybe I'm exaggerating but I want to be 100% sure that I won't damage my valuable crankset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jaker

by Jaker

Those cranks are not designed in such a critically light minimalistic manner that the lack of a 2nd chainring/bashguard would compromise the strength or ability to withstand pedaling forces. I do however understand that the chainring tabs need a large torque distributing surface to alleviate damage from the chainring bolts.