Tubeless rim tape

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

I've ordered myself a set of these Light Bicycle rims, and I'm wondering what rim tape width I need? I was told 18mm would be fine, but when watching tubeless tape install videos, the tape seems to be wider than the internal with of the rim (in this case 22mm), so I just thought I'd check.

Marin

by Marin

In my experience, the tape needs to be wide enough to seal the spoke holes - a few mm on each side of the hole is usually enough. It doesn't hurt if it's wider though. There's no need for wall-to-wall taping.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Marin wrote:In my experience, the tape needs to be wide enough to seal the spoke holes - a few mm on each side of the hole is usually enough. It doesn't hurt if it's wider though. There's no need for wall-to-wall taping.

Ok. Thanks. And this applies to tubeless setups as well?

LeDuke

by LeDuke

HaakonJohansen wrote:
Marin wrote:In my experience, the tape needs to be wide enough to seal the spoke holes - a few mm on each side of the hole is usually enough. It doesn't hurt if it's wider though. There's no need for wall-to-wall taping.

Ok. Thanks. And this applies to tubeless setups as well?

I'm fairly certain he's talking specifically about a tubeless setup.

Like Marin, I use tape wide enough to get a couple of millimeters on each side of the spoke holes.

I used 3M 8898, specifically.

northy185

by northy185

This isn't very weight weenie of me, but I always use gorilla tape, wide enough to cover the spoke holes + a few mm. One strip, all the way around, no leaking issues. I've used DT Swiss factory installed tubeless tape and Stan's that I installed- and I always end up back at the gorilla tape.

Gregorio

by Gregorio

Bontrager rythem strips. Comes in different widths. I like it a lot better than the tape.

Marin

by Marin

Taped my A23s yesterday with Tesa 4289 - a double wrap of 1 rim weighs 10 grams. Single wrap should be enough though, so 5g per wheel.

Actually, I weighed the tape I took off which probably had sealant residue stuck to it, so it's probably a gram or 2 ligher when you tape it :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

F45

by F45

8898 is a perfect Stan's replacement. It comes in different widths.