Performance and difference benefits on brakes

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Carlin

by Carlin

Hi Guys,

Right it's come to the time I want to upgrade my brakes, I'm currently running set of Hope Tech2 Stealths with braided hosing and I went abit over kill for an XC bike.

So anyways I've resulted down to two options

Hope Race Evo X2 as they claim 190g or Shimano XTR M9020

The issue I've got is I've never owned or ran a set of Shimano brakes.
So has anyone on here ran both brakes and what was your thoughts or gains in performance.
I do like the idea of good weight loss on both brakes as they save me good 120g maybe a little more on a set

WickedLite

by WickedLite

Why are you not considering Formula R1 racing brakes?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mortenste

by Mortenste

Xtr m9020 is the trail version and is heavyier.the m9000 race is lighter.

Carlin

by Carlin

WickedLite wrote:Why are you not considering Formula R1 racing brakes?

Because they are crap basically, I owned a pair hated the inconsistency and the brakes would drag every so often on the discs. I even tried different pads an discs

So I drilled it down to two options if anything as they are also well supported locally at the lbs

Carlin

by Carlin

Mortenste wrote:Xtr m9020 is the trail version and is heavyier.the m9000 race is lighter.

Thanks but I thought the M9000 are 2015 version and there is a 2016. I guess I've mixed them both up on that one.
Still like to know ppls options on the two but I guess no one on here runs Hope brakes

CGT

by CGT

I run the Race EVO X2s and I'm happy with them, but I'm a light rider and therefore I get away with the fact that these brakes are not the most powerful ones out there. I wouldn't recommend them for heavier riders. However, if you're considering XTR M9020 (the trail version), you should probably be comparing them to the Hope Race E4s, and those should be powerful enough for heavier riders.

DanW

by DanW

XTR 9000 is the way forward for reasons already mentioned against the R1's and Hopes

The only reason people opt for X2/ R1 over XTR is modulation, however they have so much modulation that they never reach a point when you feel you'll actually stop- they missed that vital part of the design at the end of all the modulation :)

bikerector

by bikerector

Shimano

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com