New Member/New build

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

northy185

by northy185

Hello All,

I have been a closet weight weenie for awhile now, accused several times by my riding buddies, but I always told them, "I just like nice things..." to justify my upgrades. I am now building up a new XC race bike, a Pivot Les 29er, which is on a 6 week backorder, which just gives me more time to obsess over this build until it arrives. So far I have a list of carry over parts from previous builds, and a few things I purchased for this bike. I will post up what I have, along with what I am considering. Of course, this bike can be built up single speed, so I likely will be riding it like that most of the year to prepare me for some of the longer races I'm committed to. Since my wife doesn't understand having n+1 bikes, I need to have multipurpose machines, which lead me to the LES in the first place. I'm working on teaching her the rules, but for now, I work around her lack of understanding :lol:

Brand: Pivot Type: LES 29er

Final weight: TBD, goal: 20 lbs/ 9.1 kG

Spreadsheet with weights (in grams):
Frame: 1133.98 g (claimed)
Fork: Fox float 32, 1514.9g (Claimed, my scale won't read that high)
Rigid Fork: Enve Carbon Mountain, Quick google did not provide weight, but surely someone here knows
hanger: unknown
Headset: Cane Creek ZS 110: 110.05g
seatpost clamp: Unknown
Seatpost: TBD
Seat: TBD
Stem: TBD
Bar: TBD
Bartape: Lizard Skins DPS 32.3, 32.1g including tape
bottle cages and hardware: TBD
Outer Cables: none
Inner Cables: MTB PTFE, to be trimmed: 127.5g
Brakes: M9000 Race, 206/190g
Front derailleur: n/a
Rear derailleur: 222 g
Crankset: Next SL: 379g
Bottom Bracket: Raceface Cinch BB92, 71.85g
Chainrings: TBD, elliptical for sure
Chainring bolts: DM
Chain: KMC X11SL
Shifters: XTR Rear/N/A for SS Fun
Cassette: XTR M9000
Single Speed Cog: Wolftooth AL SS, 18T 16.5g
Gear Clamp: 16.95g
Wheels: Enve M50, also on order
hubs: DT Swiss 180 CL
Spokes: Stock Enve
Rims: M50
Inntertubes: N/A
Tires: TBD
Pedals: XTR
Polar/garmin/computer mounts: Garmin out front, 38.05g
Tape/glue: N/A

I am leaning towards an enve cockpit, because enve. I also realize I need a scale that will read things that weigh more than 150g, so apologies if any of my googled weights are off. I will update as I build if I find discrepancies. I look forward to contributing where I can, but mostly I am here to learn!

Thanks everyone

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Colin

by Colin

Pretty sure you're frame weight is off, especially if you got the orange one. Expect it to come in closer to 1300g+. I had a previous gen BH Ultimate which was a very close cousin to the Les, minus the swinger dropouts (so less weight), and it was in the 1300g range for a small. Also owned a Les 27.5 in green that was in the low 1200g range for a small (and again, no swinger dropout).

You'll also need different pulley's if you plan to run a KMC chain with your XTR derailleur. The stock pulleys just don't mesh well at all and make for a horribly rough drivetrain.

That said, you'll love the Les. They're incredibly fun bikes.

AdyM

by AdyM

A rigid carbon 29er should easy make 20lbs. I did a not very weight weenie build a couple years back on a Planet X dirty harry and got to 9kg. With like SLX gearing and Deore brakes. Look forward to following this :)

northy185

by northy185

Colin, I used the claimed weight from Pivot, so I'm anxious to put it on a scale. I'm getting a large, so I'm sure it will be more than the 2.5# they claim on the website.

What pulleys do you recommend for the XTR/KMC combo? My XTR chain was due for replacement and I've liked KMCs in the past, but sure don't like a rough drivetrain.

AdyM, I figure 20# should be a pretty easy goal, and this way when it is 19.1 I don't get too upset for not making that goal. The power of positive thinking, you know?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Never had an issue with KMC chains on Shimano jockeys myself.

Have a look at the Kalloy Uno 7 stem, crazy light for a good price, my 70mm was 94g, down to 88g with a Ti bolt kit, all for just £26/$40 for the two off evil bay. Feels plenty stiff enough with my 680mm bars.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

CGT

by CGT

Colin wrote:You'll also need different pulley's if you plan to run a KMC chain with your XTR derailleur. The stock pulleys just don't mesh well at all and make for a horribly rough drivetrain.

I'm sorry, what? Why would this be the case? The XTR pulleys are completely normal, there is no reason why they shouldn't work perfectly fine with the KMC chain. In fact, I'm running XTR pulleys now with a KMC chain, and haven't noticed a single hiccup.

DanW

by DanW

It is more that KMC chains have slightly oversized rollers (IIRC) so may not play nicely. I swapped my XTR jockeys for Aerozine ceramic before they ever saw a chain so wouldn't know it there were issues but it is for this reason Absolute Black do not recommend KMC chains with their NW rings for example. I had non-stop chain drops with KMC/ AB so can see why a KMC chain may cause issues with other components too....

Colin

by Colin

If I get a chance tomorrow I'll try and get a video showing what I'm talking about, but the X11SL definitely doesn't mesh well with both mine and a friend of mine's M9000 rear derailleur. Never heard anything about KMC rollers being oversized, but that definitely seems like a plausible cause. Also, I'm specifically talking about M9000 rear derailleurs, whose pulley's do appear to have taller teeth than M980 (although, I haven't measured them, so I can't 100% confirm this). No issues at all using KMC (x10sl) chains on M980 series derailleurs.

As for recommended pulley's go, I've had pretty good success with KCNC and Kogel pulley's. Heard lots of good things about extralite as well.

northy185

by northy185

Hello again,

Just checking in. I have all of my parts ordered now, with the exception of the frame. According to the pivot rep, they are on backorder for 6 weeks (that was two weeks ago) so hopefully by the end of March I will be good to go. As my shiny new parts come in I will update the weights. I did run my KMC chain through my M9000 pulleys, and don't see any meshing issues, but I will continue to test and update.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com