MTB newbie frame suggestions

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

Finally planning a mountain bike build...my 1st one...and pondering frame options

Id prefer to start with just a frame and build from there, but for the right price id consider a complete bike.

Some requirements for my frame:
Steel
geared and single speed compatible (sliding or swinging dropouts)
29er
44mm headtube
threaded BSA BB
under $1200 USD

I will be using it for local trail riding, handling skills for cyclocross and occasional xc style races. trails here are not super hilly but not pancake flat, pretty twisty and rooty.

some frames I have in mind are:
Vassago VerHauen
Soma Juice
Salsa El Mariachi
Surly Karate Monkey Ops
REEb Dikyelous (a bit over budget)

What other options can you all throw my way?

TheRookie

by TheRookie

The El Marriachi is a very nice frame, I have a fair few (4 or 5) friends who ride them and they love it.

Why Steel? It will always weigh more than a decent aluminium frame.

If you want to run geared and single speed I'd suggest a vertical dropout frame and a tensioner, much better solution to my mind in in terms of simplicity and ease of swapping one to the other.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DanW

by DanW

Also 44mm headtube is kinda pointless

I went for a Santa Cruz Highball with similar requirements. The dropout system is really nice, especially SS which is really clean and elegant. If you have any desires to SS for any decent length of time then a tensioner gets annoying very quickly and defeats the purpose of a nice, clean, quiet setup which is one of the draws of SS for me. I was close to an El-Mar but losing 1lb off the frame and getting a good deal swayed it for me. Very glad I did.

Getter

by Getter

^^That's a great looking ride.

jooo

by jooo

If you're set on steel and something like the REEB is interesting to you, have you thought about any custom builders? There are a few in the same $$$$ ballpark.

Something like a Waltworks gives you the option to fuss over the small details that might otherwise bug you on a production frame.

DanW wrote:44mm headtube is kinda pointless

On a steel frame designed to run a tapered fork, it's actually the most sensible choice. The other options add weight for no tangible performance benefit.

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

Not really a fan of the tensioner idea myself.

I wasnt aware of the modularity of the highball frame and that is definitely an intriguing option now, considering how much weight is saved over a steel frame. Too bad more companies dont have similar dropout set-ups with their aluminum hardtails.

The main reason I was considering The REEB/Vassago is the sliding thru axle dropout system. Makes for very simple swaps between geared and SS setup. I could just run the same 142x12 Geared dropouts, hub setup and "slide" them back to add tension when going SS.

I have found a local guy who builds frames (Farnsworth Bikes) and am going to be in contact about options, his grassroots racing team and possibly volunteer assisting around his shop.

DanW

by DanW

^^That's a great looking ride.

Cheers Getter :beerchug:

The frame was an impulse purchase and the rest was a case of making use of my parts bin. Quite happy it looks tidy and came out bang on 19lbs despite this.... plus it is amazingly good fun to ride :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

headtube

by headtube

I agree with the steel choice if you don't mind dragging that extra weight around. It just feels nicer then alloy. Gives you more input IMO. Your component/s choice will help reduce weight. A custom build is the way to go if you know exactly what characteristics you want.