Trek Fuel EX 9.9 Build Thread

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Gullholm wrote:Just sanding the surface to remove a decal I'd say is almost always perfectly fine, especially on something as thick as a crank. Just think about how much wear and scratches a lot of cranks gets from normal use or cables rubbing on frames when people don't pay attention for example. Just use a fine sandpaper and take some time with it.
However you still got the problem that you're 99,9% sure to void any warranty. Luckily the Next SL cranks look awesome with decals too though if you ask me haha, much nicer than XX1. Did you get regular ones with white decals or stealth black?

Got the white (light grey really) version, because I bought it from a guy (it's used just twice though, so it's really as good as new). I agree that the Next SL logo looks waaay better than the XX1 livery though. Also, I think I actually like the white RF livery better than the black ones, as I actually think the white outline on the black ones makes it less subtle than the all white logo.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Thanks for the input guys. But yeah it definitely seems to be a polarizing fork, noticed that when reading reviews of it too. One site stating it's great and the next saying it's an expensive set of noodles haha. Luckily I got a very good deal on one and hopefully I'll like it. I know for sure though that I'll really appreciate the fore aft stiffness on it.

As for the stanchions spinning with the wheel out I'm not that worried. If I get a flat on the tubulars and the Pitstop doesn't fix it I'm screwed anyway haha. And the heavy hub isn't a problem once Extralite gets the HyperWiz hub released at 99g.

Speaking of weight though, anybody runs or know someone running a Carbon-Ti or Extralite hex-key axle on the RS1? Both those companies state their axles are compatible with RS1 while RockShox says their own Maxle Stealth isn't compatible with RS1. Only reasons for that I can come up with is that the head/flange on the Stealth looks smaller in diameter than the Maxle Ultimate (stock on the fork) so that there's a smaller contact area, or that they think the clamping power with the Maxle Ultimate is more foolproof than just a threaded axle that theoretically can come loose.

HaakonJohansen wrote:Got the white (light grey really) version, because I bought it from a guy (it's used just twice though, so it's really as good as new). I agree that the Next SL logo looks waaay better than the XX1 livery though. Also, I think I actually like the white RF livery better than the black ones, as I actually think the white outline on the black ones makes it less subtle than the all white logo.

I agree with you on that one, the all white ones actually look better. What bike are they going on?

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Before he set it up tubeless my friend with the RSi's had a front flat, realigning the lowers when refitting the wheel was a non issue.

Can't answer the other questions, sorry, but the Maxle stealth is know to have the physical properties of Tofu (Hope changed their hub design for the stealth as it didn't support the previous hub design properly)which may explain why they don't use it (or recommend it's use) for the RSi where the axle stiffness is more critical.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

CGT

by CGT

I had some serious issues with chain dropping off the Carbon-Ti NNNW chainring, and I would strongly suggest contacting Carbon-Ti straightaway and ask if they can replace it for a true NW one. You will experience chain dropping to the outside when in the highest gears and applying power on the pedals.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Gullholm wrote:Thanks for the input guys. But yeah it definitely seems to be a polarizing fork, noticed that when reading reviews of it too. One site stating it's great and the next saying it's an expensive set of noodles haha. Luckily I got a very good deal on one and hopefully I'll like it. I know for sure though that I'll really appreciate the fore aft stiffness on it.

As for the stanchions spinning with the wheel out I'm not that worried. If I get a flat on the tubulars and the Pitstop doesn't fix it I'm screwed anyway haha. And the heavy hub isn't a problem once Extralite gets the HyperWiz hub released at 99g.

Speaking of weight though, anybody runs or know someone running a Carbon-Ti or Extralite hex-key axle on the RS1? Both those companies state their axles are compatible with RS1 while RockShox says their own Maxle Stealth isn't compatible with RS1. Only reasons for that I can come up with is that the head/flange on the Stealth looks smaller in diameter than the Maxle Ultimate (stock on the fork) so that there's a smaller contact area, or that they think the clamping power with the Maxle Ultimate is more foolproof than just a threaded axle that theoretically can come loose.

HaakonJohansen wrote:Got the white (light grey really) version, because I bought it from a guy (it's used just twice though, so it's really as good as new). I agree that the Next SL logo looks waaay better than the XX1 livery though. Also, I think I actually like the white RF livery better than the black ones, as I actually think the white outline on the black ones makes it less subtle than the all white logo.

I agree with you on that one, the all white ones actually look better. What bike are they going on?

I can't see why it wouldn't work with the Extralite axle as it clearly states that it works with the RS1 on their site. The cranks are going on a Chinese frame (CS196 form xmcarbonspeed.com). Most of the components are going to be stealth colored, except green HyperFront and HyperRear2 hubs;) (and the white RF logo of course)

Gullholm

by Gullholm

CGT: Did they replace yours without any trouble? My guess is though that they'll want me to try it first. But of course I see the issue and was expecting it to be a true N/W.

Haakon: Yeah and that made me wonder why it wouldn't work with a Maxle Stealth, which is almost the same weight as the Carbon-Ti axle but a lot cheaper. Sounds like a nice build you got going!

Here's some more weights!
Frame weight for the Fuel EX 9.9 29" 18,5" and Re:Aktiv shock only (no rear axle, seatpost clamp and headset) is 2237g. No front derailleur mount or cover on it either.
Boost ABP axle is 93g and stock Bontrager non-qr seatclamp is 27g (not pictured).

CGT

by CGT

Yeah, they replaced mine without much hassle. But even if they wouldn't have, Bastien from Dulight.fr (where I bought the chainring) offered me to have it returned to him even though I had tested it, so that was a nice offer from him!

DanW

by DanW

That's a good weight on a reasonably long travel frame in a proper size. Enjoy :beerchug:

Gullholm

by Gullholm

CGT wrote:Yeah, they replaced mine without much hassle. But even if they wouldn't have, Bastien from Dulight.fr (where I bought the chainring) offered me to have it returned to him even though I had tested it, so that was a nice offer from him!

Allright, thanks for the info!

DanW wrote:That's a good weight on a reasonably long travel frame in a proper size. Enjoy :beerchug:
Sure will, should make for a fun and fast bike :beerchug:

Got the RS1 today, no opinion on performance yet of course but it sure looks amazing, and even better in 120mm compared to the shorter travel options.
Tempted to try the Extralite Blacklock since it would shave off almost 50g. I'll also lighten up the Xloc a tiny bit.
Weight is with uncut steerer, uncut Xloc and with matchmaker - straight out of the box. Will try to get a weight later on with everything dialed too for comparsion.

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Any update? :noidea:

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Sorry guys, turned into a hectic spring but the bike did get finished!

I actually ended up getting a set of plus-size wheels while waiting for the Hyperwiz front hub. Doesn't exactly ride fast with those on but the grip and comfort is amazing so I've had some fun times with those when out exploring new trails, especially steep and technical ones not originally intended for bikes.
Been riding the bike hard on the downhills (used to ride downhill for 10+ years before I got into xc) with the plus wheels since they're pretty much bombproof and I was actually a bit surprised how much you can push the Fuel EX on the descents. Plus tires do get too bouncy riding like that though, sure it depends a lot on tire pressure, but one way to describe it is that you can kinda feel the tire bounce instead of working with your suspension. So no wonder no one use them for any kind of racing.

Anyway, the bike is a great mix between fast, capable and comfortable with the lightweight wheelset on. A very good climber but still descends a lot better than other more "true xc-rigs" that I've tried, and so much fun on singletrack. So I'm very happy with the build, it met my expectations and I haven't had any issues at all except for the PRO stem. Been some creaking noises and the built in headset bearing pre-load (so that you don't need a regular topcap etc) came loose a couple of times so there was a tiny bit of headset play. And it was a lot heavier than claimed. So gonna change the stem someday, just haven't gotten around to do it yet.

Weight is 11.0kg in plus mode and 9.7kg with the DT Swiss.
(Was running an old XTR crankset on two of the pics, so slightly heavier with those of course)

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Are those the new sealant compatible Dugast?

Also, good thing you got the 2016. The 2017 = terrible.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk