Chinese handlebar

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Soon I've ordered all the parts that I need for my build, but I still haven't ordered the bars. I'm currently thinking about buying some cheap ones, and upgrading to a Schmolke or Extralite later this summer/fall. Since I want to upgrade later, I want the bars to be as cheap as possible, while still being reliable. Therefor, I'm wondering if a really cheap carbon bar, i.e. this one, or will I be much better off buying a new 3T carbon bar for around 60-70 usd (private seller)?

Getter

by Getter

I'm always skeptical about no brand carbon bars. If that part has a catastrophic failure...there is a good chance of you going down hard. I have a open mold China frame too...but I run a Enve bar. It's a part I want to take ZERO risk on. If you have the cash to drop on the Extralite bar now...I'd just buy it and get it over with.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Would you rather choose the Extralite then the Schmolke? The only "problem" then, is that my frame uses a 27.2mm seatpost and Extralite isn't offering this size, and I don't know if they will on the new carbon seatpost they're working on either (would like to match the post and bar if possible:P). But I could always order a matte Schmolke seatpost if the Extralite handlebar is the best of the two brands.

Getter

by Getter

I have no opinion on either of the bars. It would come down to your personal preference.

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

In place where I live,many peoples are using chinese parts,handlebars,rims,seatposts,hubs with no issues.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Thanks for the feedback guys. Another thing I wonder (completely off-topic), is if 4Nm of torque is enough for a seat clamp bolt? I'm looking at the Mt Zoom seat clamp, but i thought 4Nm seems a bit low?

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

Normally it's 5-6Nm,but as i remember some kind of light seatpost clamp may be very flexy. In my opinion,it,s better to buy 2-3 grams heavier seat clamp,when you don't have to worry about it.

Getter

by Getter

The torque rating is to keep you from destroying the threads on either the bolt or the part. I would adhere to what the manufacturer recommends.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Getter wrote:The torque rating is to keep you from destroying the threads on either the bolt or the part. I would adhere to what the manufacturer recommends.

I know, but I'm wondering if 4Nm is enough to keep the seatpost in place? If not, I'll order another seatclamp.

Getter

by Getter

If you're not sure...go with the 5nm clamp. I've only had one post to ever slip on me. I used some carbon paste (yuck) and that fixed it.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

When you say "the 5nm clamp", are you meaning that Mt Zoom makes a 5Nm clamp? If so, do you have a link? Or did you just mean one with higher torque limit in general?

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

What about the Hylix bars btw? Do you guys think they are reliable? I really shouldn't buy an expensive bars before after the summer (I'm a student, so have to think a bit economical), but I need a bar before that time, and I can have the Hylix bar shipped for less than 60 USD.

Getter

by Getter

HaakonJohansen wrote:When you say "the 5nm clamp", are you meaning that Mt Zoom makes a 5Nm clamp? If so, do you have a link? Or did you just mean one with higher torque limit in general?

I'm saying go with the higher torque rating. Its really a crap shoot. Some clamps will stretch when you tighten them. So who knows. Buy what you want. :noidea:

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Getter wrote:
HaakonJohansen wrote:When you say "the 5nm clamp", are you meaning that Mt Zoom makes a 5Nm clamp? If so, do you have a link? Or did you just mean one with higher torque limit in general?

I'm saying go with the higher torque rating. Its really a crap shoot. Some clamps will stretch when you tighten them. So who knows. Buy what you want. :noidea:

Ok. Thanks again for the input.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRookie

by TheRookie

4Nm with some carbon gripper paste is more than enough.

I know a few people who have been using Hylix bars for a while with no issues.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956