Chinese handlebar

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

o27

by o27

Just got a China handlebar 720mm - weighing in at a mere 108g - how would you test it for durability before hitting the trails?

A bit sceptic on the quality despite the seller (a fellow Dane) is reporting positive hard riding experience with two similar handlebars

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Test to destruction, then get another one if it's good enough. Why did you get one if you are skeptical about the quality? It might be all that you think about on the ride if you use it, and riding time us too precious to get distracted by these thoughts...

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

o27 wrote:Just got a China handlebar 720mm - weighing in at a mere 108g - how would you test it for durability before hitting the trails?

A bit sceptic on the quality despite the seller (a fellow Dane) is reporting positive hard riding experience with two similar handlebars

Do you have a link to this specific handlebar?

o27

by o27

Unfortunately no, bought it from another forum member in Denmark via Facebook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luminous

by luminous

I bought few of those bars and seat posts before, ditched them all in favour of branded ones and would never buy those unbranded-or fake-bars or seat posts again. They were light, but carbon was thin and soft. Their flex me nervous. I could easily damage them by tightening clamps.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

I have one for order now. Really cheap, but I'm not going to be using it for a long time. Just to get my bike ready for the spring, then upgrade to Schmolke or Extralite as soon as I've got a bit more money again. Hope they'll last for a couple of months though;P

Jaker

by Jaker

Have a look at Loaded Precision Napalm bars as well. Advertised pretty light, and reasonably priced as well (cheaper than Schmolke at least). I had a 620mm Schmolke TLO Lowriser for a while and it weighed 104g on my scale. The Loaded Precision is advertised at 114g for 680mm width: http://www.loadedusa.com/products/handlebars/napalm-carbon-riser-(xc,-race)

Junior7

by Junior7

Chinese pieces are strong, sometimes it works and other times do not last anything.

There is no standard of quality.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Junior7 wrote:Chinese pieces are strong, sometimes it works and other times do not last anything.

There is no standard of quality.

This.

I have some 680's branded as 'Wave', 122g is commendably but not startlingly light.
All you can do is a visual check (having access to an endoscope is helpful) and with no visible defects I was happy to use them, and have been doing so without issue for 2 months so far, My seatpost (been using for over 2 years) I did the same for.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Jaker wrote:Have a look at Loaded Precision Napalm bars as well. Advertised pretty light, and reasonably priced as well (cheaper than Schmolke at least). I had a 620mm Schmolke TLO Lowriser for a while and it weighed 104g on my scale. The Loaded Precision is advertised at 114g for 680mm width: http://www.loadedusa.com/products/handlebars/napalm-carbon-riser-(xc,-race)

Like I said, I'm only going to use these bars for a couple of mounts, and max for a year. I do like the looks of the Loaded products, but I am going for either Extralite, Schmolke or maybe Tune (because of higher strength than the latter two) when I'm buying my long term bar, and the Loaded isn't exactly priced like a contemporary bar (not for me anyway). It seems like a good product, just not exactly what I'm looking for. Also, it's not as easily available here in Europe as the other three.

PSM

by PSM

stockae92

by stockae92

PSM wrote:http://youtu.be/adwyLyZbPG0

That looks like front suspension for road bike ... LOL

DrewPowell

by DrewPowell

Too general a question. Some are good, some dangerous. If you have a specific set of bars then post it here for people with experience to comment on. The main worry, even if they're quality is getting a warranty claim which even if they replace the faulty bars (no legal requirement for them to replace from China so no recourse for you if they don't) you may get stuck with postage. Check their return policies and if it's on Ebay look at the feedback comments.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

In that movie from youtube,look,how the stem works.