Poorly bonded carbon in the BB area on frame

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Sorry for spamming the forum a lot lately, but I received my CS-196 frame from xmcarbonspeed yesterday evening, and everything was looking good until I inspected the inside of the BB area. Now I'm a bit worried that I should send my frame back due to some poorly bonded carbon on the inside of my frame. This is my first carbon frame, so I've got no experience with how it really should look, but my guess would be; not like this. It's quite hard to take good shots due to the treaded BB tube, but I hope you can see the problem (if it is a problem, that is). Anyone who knows what I should do?
Attachments
IMG_1156.jpg
IMG_1155.jpg
Last edited by HaakonJohansen on Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

No idea what we are exactly seeing, but you'll have remnants of an air bladder and all kinds of nasty surfaces on the inside of almost any carbon part, this is normal and no reason to worry.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Marin wrote:No idea what we are exactly seeing, but you'll have remnants of an air bladder and all kinds of nasty surfaces on the inside of almost any carbon part, this is normal and no reason to worry.

I know it's difficult to see, but in the second photo there is a large carbon surface that isn't bonded to anything at all. I tried making an illustrative driving of the problem in this picture. The "free" gray lines illustrates the unbonded carbon, and the red line illustrates how it ideally should be bonded.
Attachments
IMG_1161.jpg

Marin

by Marin

Like I said, just forget it.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Ok. Thanks for the answer. So I really shouldn't be concerned about strength then?

PSM

by PSM

Bop til you drop. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com