Light-Bicycle rims laced to Extralite hubs

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

yeah, that should do it.

me, rather than the SED method on the Extralite site that has you add the nipple length, I just thread a 300mm spoke (600mm total) into either side of a rim, nipple fully seated down to each spoke end, & measure where the spoke "j's" are in the center of the rim.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Thanks. Btw, I've decided to use the Sapim CX-Superspokes, but I'm wondering; because of the smaller diameter of these spokes, are the nipple head diameter smaller as well? or are they just the same as on 2mm diameter spokes? I'm wondering because a smaller nipple head diameter will (of course) increase the stress on the rim, which could be worrisome.

F45

by F45

Same thread type as the usual spokes, same nipples. They're only thinner in the middle.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Yup. The CX-Ray is pressed into blade from a 2.0 (14g) spoke, whereas the CX-Superspoke is pressed from a 1.8 (15g).

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

I ended up ordering the CX-Superspoke nipples. Spoke end diameter for my rims was around 551-552mm btw, in case anyone else wonders. So it's the same as light bicycle states their ERD as. I recieved the green Extralite hubs here the other day, and they look absolutely stunning! However, the disc brake holes was drilled on a bit off (clockwise, they should be off counterclockwise) on the rear hub, so I contacted Extralite. They told me it was actually quite a big problem, so I had to send them back to get a new one, and they have to check the whole last batch of green hubs because of it:S I'm sad I have to wait a bit longer, but I'm really happy with Extralite, who's being so honest, and professional in handling the problem.

weeni
in the industry

by weeni

this is our ESS-FHR930C Super light 29er XC mtb bike wheels, with Extralite mtb hub for 100*15mm/rear 142*12mm axle, and Sapim Cx-Ray spokes and sapim nipples. the whole wheelset weight is 1280g/pair.

IMG_1377_副本_1.JPG

IMG_1378_2.JPG

IMG_1379_2.JPG

IMG_1381_2.JPG
web: www.xmcarbonspeed.com
Email: bellajian@foxmail.com

joeg26er

by joeg26er

Price shipped to 32082USA?

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Correct, although its not always quite that simple depending on how the nipple head sits into the hole in the rim.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

I know this thread is old, but as there's been some activity here recently, I just wanted to say that my wheelset turned out great. Total weight of my set is 1116 grams (excluding rim tape, valves and tires). 27.5 rims, 15x100mm 28h front hub, 12x142mm 32h XD-driver rear hub. Both hubs with hybrid ceramic bearings, and in the colour green;) It's worth noting that I asked Light-Bicycle to make the rims as low as possible, so I saved a few grams from the stated weight of 320g per rim. I think mine were 316g and 318g.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Thanks for the feedback.....sorely tempted when I finally get into the teenies and go from 26" to 65oB!

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

TheRookie wrote:Thanks for the feedback.....sorely tempted when I finally get into the teenies and go from 26" to 65oB!

Teenies? It's probably the lightest wheelset with a decent weight limit you'll get for below 2k USD (it might have been around or slightly more than 2k with taxes, don't really remember).

You could also buy some slightly heavier spokes and hubs and save a lot of money, without adding more than around 100-150 grams to the set.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Teenies as in newer than 2012 (twenty-thirTEEN onwards), my 26" is so last decade!

My 1426g wheelset cost me £180 (about $270) big diminishing returns there!

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I hate to complicate this issue, but I'm a wheel builder from way back, and have done lots of Extralite hub builds.

An issue with many Extralite straight-pull hubs is that the flange tabs are not symmetrically opposed:
Hub.HyperCamber2.offset.jpg

This shot was straight down the HyperCamber hub. HyperRear SP hubs are like this too.
Becase the opposing flange tabs are not centered relative to the other side, you actually need THREE different sizes
of spokes to get a perfectly even spoke-end at each rim hole.

Extralite's straight-pull spoke length charts are great, but do not take into account this minor anomaly.
(In fact some at Extralite have said this does not exist, despite showing them this photo!)

So what I do is use their chart for the drive side. Then for the NDS, I subtract 2-3mm for the NDS spoke that is closer
to the drive-side flange tab, and add 2-3mm for the NDS spoke that is farther from the opposing drive-side tab.

Hopefully I am clear with the photo as an example. You may wish to check your own Extralite hubs for this issue.