Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Carbon 29

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

Anyone got one? Can't find many reviews and would really welcome any rider reviews and thoughts on the bike. Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stockae92

by stockae92

I was in the for one like a year ago, what I read was the frame can take a beating, but its not the lightest out there.

I like the "can take a beating" part. I think its important for MTB

I ended up with a Giant Anthem FS

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

Well, bought it like last week. Got a great deal off my local bike shop as me and another rider wanted a race MTB so was ordering two. Initial impressions are a very solid machine. My first carbon 29er MTB and having come from a very old school 26 MTB it really is a revelation. The speed on the flat is smile inducing and the simplicity of the single chainring will be great as well. it is tubeless that I will be keen to experiment with. Not quite got it set up properly yet, it is leaking air though the valve base (any suggestions?) I would not call it super light, but for the money it is respectable. I am certain you could spend double what I did on some fine bikes and get lighter but that wasn't an option.

stockae92

by stockae92

I rented a 29er HT and I agree, it rode great on fire road.

My old Shimano tubeless are leaking as well. And I didn't bother with it any more after a few attempts, now I just put tube in them and they will hold air "forever" :p

If the stem base is no sealing properly, then one way to fix it is with No Leaks. I just had enough dealing with that stuff.

If your bike is still under warranty and you bought it from a bike shop, you should be able to just take it back and ask them to "fix it" for you. :)

DanW

by DanW

it is leaking air though the valve base (any suggestions?)

Sometimes they need a bit of a wiggle to get seated nicely in the rim hole while also being nipped up nice and tight to hold it properly in place. It depends on the rim/ vale combination as some are more foolproof than others. I find the Stans vales a little better than the American Classic/ Mt Zoom style for example. Once you've got the tyre pumped up it can also be a good idea to hold the tyre so the valve is at the bottom, give it a bit of a shake and let the sealant do it's stuff. Very normal and certainly not a warranty issue at this stage- you'll need to know the quirks of your equipment to fix stuff out on the trail in the future

Post up a pic of the bike when it is all sorted :thumbup:

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

Ah thanks. I am new to tubeless so was expecting a few teething issues and some new tricks to learn to get things sorted. Its just a stock Rockhopper with the addition of a 'crud catcher' but have yet to try anything technical yet, thats when I will know the cut of its jib.

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

DanW

by DanW

Ignoring the weird Google Translate fail contribution... that is a great looking bike. Everything is solid and you've got a great base to start weenie-ing from :thumbup:

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

Thanks. It looks more 'orange' in the flesh. Running tubeless has been fun and a single chain ring just makes things sooooooo much simpler. My last MTB was six or seven years old and this is a massive leap forward. I am now a convert from 'nothing to be gained from upgrading' to the 'bloody hell, the new stuff rocks' school of thought. Now a tubeless, di2, hydro disc road winter bike?

wingguy

by wingguy

DanW wrote:Sometimes they need a bit of a wiggle to get seated nicely in the rim hole while also being nipped up nice and tight to hold it properly in place. It depends on the rim/ vale combination as some are more foolproof than others. I find the Stans vales a little better than the American Classic/ Mt Zoom style for example. Once you've got the tyre pumped up it can also be a good idea to hold the tyre so the valve is at the bottom, give it a bit of a shake and let the sealant do it's stuff.

Second that. When you first put the valve in you can see how well it matches up with the rim bed. Some need a bit of a pinch, some even benefit from a bit of careful shaving of the rubber bung so they seat all the way down. And moving the sealant around in the tyre is always a good thing when you first inflate it. both to get it in around the valve but also shake it around with the wheel on its side (both sides) so that any leaks in the side wall or bead get sealed up too.

After that's done tubeless is feckin' brilliant. Anyone who says otherwise is either gone in the head or just rides the most perfectly groomed and swept trails imaginable :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

Tubeless seems to have settled down now. I might have been a bit stingy with the amount of Stan's I put in so put some more in and they have stayed inflated. Now just going to have a little play with pressures on the trail. I must admit ti thinking of going tubeless on the road now as well