Removing logos tip?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Hi there. This might seem a bit silly, but I'm wondering if there is a way to remove the logo on my new Race Face Next SL crank without damaging the crank itself? Or if it's safe using a black marker or anything to make to logo as discreet as possible? Or could applying paint from i.e. a black marker damage the carbon fiber in any way?

Like I said, this might seem a bit silly, but I know nothing about potentially harmful effects of applying different liquids/materials to carbon, and it's better to be safe than sorry. If it's a bad idea to remove/cover up the logo, I'll just let it be as it is.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Some logos will come off with a solvent, some won't.

I'd just use a black sharpie you'll still see them but only as a 'gloss on matt' stealth look.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Sharpies look black on paper, but they look purple on most glossy cover-ups.

Here's what I did.

3mB.jpg

Review of the product (not mine)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaC5yK8tv_g

Two years later, it's holding up well. Even with my neoprene booties that rub the crank-arm. The product claims a seven-year outdoor life, with residue-free removablity. I believe this claim.

The sticker strategy covers up all the sins of ugly logos on my bike. This bike had the huge white "SPECIALIZED" logo on the downtube.
sp.jpg

mleebee

by mleebee

It looks like the NExt logos are just stickers. They are already beginning to lift off on my crankset. I would imagine some gentle heat from a hair dryer would be enough to lift them off. I'm going to have to do this soon and I will return with results. I've seen some SL cranks with a blacked out version of the logo. I'm wondering if an email to Raceface customer service would help.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

mleebee wrote:It looks like the NExt logos are just stickers. They are already beginning to lift off on my crankset. I would imagine some gentle heat from a hair dryer would be enough to lift them off. I'm going to have to do this soon and I will return with results. I've seen some SL cranks with a blacked out version of the logo. I'm wondering if an email to Raceface customer service would help.

Looking forward to hearing about the results. Race Face just told me that applying some solvents would make me avoid warranty. No mention of which, or any suggestions on how to do it without avoiding warranty.

headtube

by headtube

I've used everything from Rubbing alcohol, Nail polish remover, and Acetone. The Alcohol being the mildest, then the nail polish remover. You have to be careful with Acetone. It can sometimes remove paint, but it doesn't harm the harder powder coated surfaces. But always, always try a small unseen portion before committing to the entire piece.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Noting that some Nail polish remover is Acetone and some is Acetone free.....
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

headtube

by headtube

TheRookie wrote:Noting that some Nail polish remover is Acetone and some is Acetone free.....

Indeed, I stand corrected...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com