Replacement rings for a XTR Dyna-Sys FC-M980 Trail chainset

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

Hi All,

Struggling to find a 40 + 28 tooth replacement chain rings for this chainset below. 10 speed.

Any idea's, Shimano or anyone brand as long as they shift up and down OK.

Also toying with the idea of just swopping it for a 11 speed double, I think the 10 speed chain would be OK on the rings but would the throw of the front mech be OK and also would the chain line be OK, also are the axle's the same diameter?
XTR Race M9000 11 Speed Double Chainset

Cheers.

"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRookie

by TheRookie

I'd stick with Shimano rings for the M980, yes you can use an 11 speed crankset no issue.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

hjb1000

by hjb1000

kingkongsfinger wrote:Also toying with the idea of just swopping it for a 11 speed double, I think the 10 speed chain would be OK on the rings but would the throw of the front mech be OK and also would the chain line be OK, also are the axle's the same diameter?

Yep you can fit the M9020 cranks- exact same axle.
In regards to the front mech- as long as you get the 'Trail' M9020 crank with 168mm q-factor (which matches the M980 double crank you have) it should be okay I think.

Benno

by Benno

I just replaced my 980 trail chainrings and had no issue finding replacements. I think it was eBay. They were dirt cheap too if I recall.