XTR M9000 rear derailleur tuning

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Here's a picture of how my derailleur currently looks btw. I'm aware that the black marking isn't done all to well. I've ordered some plastic bolts for the clutch cover. I'm currently using some Ti ones I had laying around, but I want them to be black;) If the plastic doesn't work, I'll order some alu ones instead.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CGT

by CGT

HaakonJohansen wrote:Was that 17.5 per pulley wheel?! That's a lot! I think it's right around 18 grams for the pair on the XTR M9000. I've got these ones with full ceramic bearings. Wight is listed with the steel ones. With the ceramic ones they're around 5.2-5.3 grams each.

Not per pulley, for the pair.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Ok. Just a bit confused as the weight for the Mt Zoom ones was stated per pulley;P

TheRookie

by TheRookie

No, sorry, 17.5 the pair to 5.5 the pair.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

TheRookie wrote:No, sorry, 17.5 the pair to 5.5 the pair.

5.5 for the pair?! That can't be right. Mt Zoom states the weight as 5.6 grams per pulley wheel. I guess you mean "17.5 the pair to 5.5 per pulley"?

TheRookie

by TheRookie

HaakonJohansen wrote:

5.5 for the pair?! That can't be right. Mt Zoom states the weight as 5.6 grams per pulley wheel. I guess you mean "17.5 the pair to 5.5 per pulley"?

My bad, yes, that's what I meant to type (and singularly failed to!)

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

TheRookie wrote:
HaakonJohansen wrote:

My bad, yes, that's what I meant to type (and singularly failed to!)

Haha;)

CGT

by CGT

Well, in case you're still wondering about the weight of the original XTR M9000 pulleys, they are 9,3 grams for the guide pulley and 8,8 for the tension pulley, or 18,1 g in total.

Have you received and installed the titanium clutch bolt?

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Got the Titanium P-axle unit from Titanium Planet today;) I've got the weight of the derailleur down to around 207-208 grams with the Goatlink 11 now. I'll probably be able to shave off around 4 grams from switching to a Fibre Lyte cage, and maybe 1-2 more grams from swapping out the three bolts holding the clutch cover and the stop bolt on the cage. Don't think I'll be able to get it under 200 grams without doing some dremeling, making a custom front cage, or getting some Ti springs. Does anyone know if it's possible to get Ti springs for the XTR M9000 anywhere?

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

CGT wrote:Well, in case you're still wondering about the weight of the original XTR M9000 pulleys, they are 9,3 grams for the guide pulley and 8,8 for the tension pulley, or 18,1 g in total.

Have you received and installed the titanium clutch bolt?

I have installed it;) I have to admit though, that I'm only using a kitchen scale with a resolution (can I use this word in this setting?) of two grams, so I'm only measuring the weight of the whole derailleur. Saved around 4 grams.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

A little update on the spring issue. I contacted Titanium Planet again to ask about a spring upgrade, and they are currently in the process of making one. Don't know if they'll be able to actually make one though, or how long it will take.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

HaakonJohansen wrote: I've got the weight of the derailleur down to around 207-208 grams

The damper (clutch) adds a fair amount of weight, I'm running an old 9speed XTR (with an Ultegra shifter as a 10 speed) and with just the MtZoom jockeys its 182g!

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Indeed the clutch adds a lot of weight, but I don't really want to ride without it as it works great. If the they manage to make the Ti-spring I'll get it right down below 200g I think, which is pretty good without any dremeling;)

TheRookie

by TheRookie

I'm sure the damper is nice to have, never had one! That said running a short cage mech and NW ring with a Sunrace 10-40 I've not had any issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

02GF74

by 02GF74

why are using those heavy aluminium ends on the gear cable?? replace with a short length of heatshrink tubing.