Sunrace MS3 10 speed 11-42 cassette - anyone used one?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

TMz

by TMz

Hi, sorry if this has been covered already, I tried the search and couldn't find anything.

I'm looking for the best/most cost effective way of converting to 1x10 but with a decent low gear for these Yorkshire hills.

I've found the Sunrace cassette, which can be had for ~£50 posted, and it seems like the best and cheapest option.

anyone used one? any feedback? durability/shifting/any skipping etc?

Figured with that and a narrow wide I'd be set, have heard conflicting stories about clutch mechs (I've got a none clutch SLX) but a lad I know who MTBs harder than I will says clutch isn't needed with a narrow wide and good setup.

Cheers

TM

Jengaback

by Jengaback

I don't think you can actually get hold of them yet? I've been going on their website regularly and its still under construction for 2016. I assume the sites you've found are for preorder. I'm planning on getting one when they're available

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

If someone want it,just give me a touch,I can get them for 50pounds. Then I can ship them to you.

MileHighMark

by MileHighMark

I've been running the 11-42 MX3 on my Transition Scout, and it shifts flawlessly with a SRAM GX 2x10 mech.
GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

TMz

by TMz

@Jengaback There are some UK stores showing stock, whether accurate or not who knows.

@milehighmark thanks for posting, you've put to rest any niggling concern I may have had.

MileHighMark

by MileHighMark

The MS3 and MX3 have been available in the US for quite some time. They do tend to sell out pretty quickly, though.
GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

toastie

by toastie

I swapped my rear cassette out a long time back for one that went up to 42 and if memory serves me correct you lose the 17, i unfortunately found that i needed the 17 more than i needed the 42 so ended up going back to a more conventional cassette although i probably could have made it more useable by changing the front ring at the same time so i didn't miss the 17 so much, just something to be aware of.
I hope that makes sense

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Both MS3 (£50) and the lighter MX3 (£58) are on ebay.co.uk The MX3 looks pretty good value, compared to an XT cassette with expander it's lighter weight and a heck of a lot cheaper, only 11-40 though.

I'm running 1x9 (so not a clutched mech) and never had a dropped chain using a NW ring.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com