Help building a lightweight Pace.

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

The Bear

by The Bear

Hi, a couple of questions which I could find no definative answers for. I'm trying to build a rigid RC200 that's as light as possible but don't want to sacrifice too much useability and braking performance. Some issues;

- How much does a RC200 F8 frame weigh please? I haven't managed to find this anywhere (including the listings here).

- Is it possible for a front & rear disc set up to weigh as little as V-brakes? (or at least close to)

- I'm gonna run a single chain ring with a lightweight cassette. Will a Dura Ace 11-21 cassette and rear mech fit onto a Hope MTB freewheel and work with XT shifters? (Dura Ace mechs are incompatible?) Or am I better off forking out for a Ti XTR cass. and XTR mech?

- And finally!!! Has anyone got a pair of RC31 Ti yet? are they still the Dogs or is there a light(er), sexier fork that will go well with a F8?

Many thanks to anyone who can help!
The Bear

mattpage

by mattpage

Hello!

You may find my recent post useful.
It's based on a RC300, and fairly light. My 16.5" weighed close to the Pace spec, perhaps the RC200 has a manufacter spec?

As far as disk brakes go, the lightest possible would be around 250g each, but they wouldnt be reliable. I have my hope mono minis to 318g and 100% reliable (ie. steel rotors).

Any 9sp cassette will work on a 9sp freehub, weather it 11-21 or 11-34.. But I dont think 11-21 is adviceable off-road!!

The RC-31Ti should be a very good fork, and availible very soon!
I dont think there is a sexier rigid fork availible tbh.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

The Bear

by The Bear

Thanks, your RC300's looking nice. Unfortunately Pace no longer list RC200 (or even RC300) specs on their website so I'll have to do some research. Was suprised not to find it listed here though, are they that rare?

I was thinking of going with mono mini rear and M4 front. I prefer Hope and it's only a small weight difference between the mono and M4 for extra performance (and looks!)

TBH I plan to use it more for road riding, hence the 11-21 idea. I have an older 'classic' RC200 set up for off road. This won't ever be as light as the F8 so I decided to keep it as my off road bike. Here's a pic of the F8 before I change a few bits.

Thanks for the info
Attachments
DSC00130.JPG
The Bear

Nicolas

by Nicolas

The Bear wrote: I was thinking of going with mono mini rear and M4 front. I prefer Hope and it's only a small weight difference between the mono and M4 for extra performance (and looks!)

TBH I plan to use it more for road riding, hence the 11-21 idea.

If you plan to use it for roadriding, I don't think there is the slightest idea in using a 180 mm rotor. The M4 was designed for Freeride. I would just go for the Mini in the rear as well.
Think, type, speak... In that order...

chrism

by chrism

Yep I agree - if it's only for roadriding, and your roadriding only needs a single ring and an 11-21, then you very definitely don't need an M4. Extra weight for no real performance advantage.

The Bear

by The Bear

Cheers for the input!

The only reason I thought about using an M4 front was because of my experience with the C2's on my bike. I have lost count of the number of times they have overheated and left me with no brakes (sometimes the rear too!). Obviously this doesn't happen during normal riding, only while coming down hills or after reguler heavy use do they overheat without fail. I have changed the fluid and pads but it makes no difference. Maybe this is just a trait of the earlier calipers and I doubt I'll be doing many steep descents after the rebuild but I'm just a bit paranoid.
The Bear

IanB

by IanB

The Bear wrote:How much does a RC200 F8 frame weigh please? I haven't managed to find this anywhere (including the listings here)

The RC200 F8 weighed about 200g more than the RC300 from memory.

The Bear wrote:And finally!!! Has anyone got a pair of RC31 Ti yet? are they still the Dogs or is there a light(er), sexier fork that will go well with a F8?

Nothing will look sexier than a Pace fork on a Pace frame ;)

fade2grey

by fade2grey

I'm sure I've got the details of the RC200 somewhere - it'll be the weekend before I can have a look to see though.

I run an RC200 F8 with hope XC4's on it & an RC36EVO III - it's luverly if a little long in the tooth now... :)
Pace RC200 F8 ;)

killroy

by killroy

The Bear wrote:Thanks, your RC300's looking nice. Unfortunately Pace no longer list RC200 (or even RC300) specs on their website so I'll have to do some research. Was suprised not to find it listed here though, are they that rare?

I was thinking of going with mono mini rear and M4 front. I prefer Hope and it's only a small weight difference between the mono and M4 for extra performance (and looks!)

TBH I plan to use it more for road riding, hence the 11-21 idea. I have an older 'classic' RC200 set up for off road. This won't ever be as light as the F8 so I decided to keep it as my off road bike. Here's a pic of the F8 before I change a few bits.

Thanks for the info

Robin, "Holly square tubing, Batman!"

fade2grey

by fade2grey

Knew I had it somewhere...

This is for the F8

SPECIFICATION
Weight 1775g (16.5in). 1845g (18in). excluding CrudCatcher
Material Pace 7000 series aluminium
Tubeset Pace load dedicated, externally butted
Colour Polished aluminium
Dropouts 7075-T6 aluminium detachable
Seatpost clamp Aluminium detachable
Seatpost diameter 29.4mm
Front mechanism Bottom pull 31.8mm
BB shell width 68mm
Headset diameter 28.6mm
Discbrake fitment Options ISO standard disc with
V- brake mounts or ISO std disc only

Cheers,
A
Pace RC200 F8 ;)

The Bear

by The Bear

Fade2grey, thanks for the details. I haven't logged on for ages so my apologies for not seeing your reply.

The Bear
The Bear

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com