help me make my new hard tail lighter! 2016 stumpjumper comp

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

sdell101

by sdell101

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/ ... p-29#specs

new fork on its way... sid xx world cup. and new wheels soon next would be a 1x drivetrain
have about 1200 to burn on new gear.. how should i spend it ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffreyj

by jeffreyj

Light wheels will burn up most of your 1200. Or you could do brakes, bars, grips, post, saddle, and cassette first?

Marin

by Marin

Same as in all other threads, get a lighter bike to start with or build one from scratch, making an existing bike significantly (>1kg) lighter will cost tons and you won't even feel the difference.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

My old Stumpjumper Evo, I had it right at 20 lbs with basically everything upgraded.
Tons of money in it. Your best bet would be X1/XO1, Stans Crests and swapping your build kit later.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

There are some good hits available, minimising hose and cable length is almost free, an Uno stem with Ti bolts can be done for circa £25-30 and gives you an 85-90g stem.

Tubeless? Foam grips? alloy backplate pads? Cut the seatpost to min insertion, attention to detail can save a lot for not too much money.

That said that isn't a good starter bike for a lightweight bike, but making it lighter is easy enough.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

pptso

by pptso

Marin wrote:Same as in all other threads, get a lighter bike to start with or build one from scratch, making an existing bike significantly (>1kg) lighter will cost tons and you won't even feel the difference.

Agreed, starting from scratch is the better option. I picked up a Cannondale F-SI Carbon 2 and sold everything except the frame to start from scratch but at least got frame for fairly cheap after selling all parts, then started from there, with attention to details, like nylon screws n clamps to hold down cables. It might not be too much but a little here n there adds up quickly.

Hope this helps.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com