New Trek Fuel EX

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

wingguy

by wingguy

Of course you can - you can just ride it easier and better with a dropped post. They're the best invention in mountainbiking since suspension that works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Yes, and if you read MTB forums, they are awash with stories from people who blow out their dropper every third ride. Every brand out there. Incredibly unreliable.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Many people have no issues with them at all........
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I'm sure that's true, too.

Just like many people had no issues at all with older Elixir or XX brakes.

However, I "broke" 3 (2x Fox DOSS, 1x RS Reverb) under my portly 65kg/143lb corpse, on an XC hardtail, in less than a year.

I stored the bike upright, seatpost extended, never picked it up by the seat, etc. Followed all of the rules and recommendations. Yet, still experienced failure.

wingguy

by wingguy

If you believe what you read on most bike forums you'd think that all campag rear mechs break in half, DA cranks snap, Zipps don't last more than 100km etc. etc.

On the flip side I've had two Reverbs and a Giant post, picked them up by the saddle, rode them dirty, smacked them in crashes, left them with the seat up, down, halfway, stored one on its side in a hot car through an entire european summer, never serviced them and I've had a total of zero issues ever.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Hardtails seem to 'create' a higher failure rate than FS, a logic I suppose is that it's possible to smack hard into the saddle on an HT, when the FS, would soak it up for you, whether that's why or just a guess I don't know!
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956