29er frame - "Chinese" unbranded - what to look for etc

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mattrixdesign2

by mattrixdesign2

I have decided its time to try a 29er, used 26inch MTB all my life, great fun but recently started racing XC and I would like something to aid me keeping up with all the wagon wheelers :lol: and its an excuse for a new bike.

I could look to buy a new branded bike or a used bike, but also thought about taking all the parts I currently have (XT/SLX/1x10etc) and building something up.

I have thought about the Carbonzone - direct Chinese type through Ebay etc.

What do I need to watch out for, whats good/bad, what brands and best to buy via Ebay or direct, tempted to get one with frame and rigid forks then I can have something to ride and get a suspension fork later.

I want light weight, and willing to spend £200-£300 if it gets me something worthwhile.

Tips and ideas welcome. :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I'd go over to MTBR and read the 9,000+ post "Cheap Chinese Carbon frame" thread in the 29er subforum.

I have an IP-057. Great bike.

DanW

by DanW

Agree. I would also suggest browsing the giant thread on MTBR where almost every question has been answered

I have a 256-sl from Hongfu. It didn't cost much and is 1061g (has a BSA BB which adds weight, even lighter with pressfit BB's) in a Large. Bear in mind almost all the Chinese frames seem to come from the same place and the "manufacturers" are just resellers with varying warranties and mark ups in price.

The frame is great but for some reason I can't bring myself to trust a Chinese carbon fork! I use a Kinesis XI for days when I fancy riding rigid (still far East made but a great reputation etc).

An 056 or 057 should be in your price range and is a good bet. Just remember to account for import fees and shipping fees which ramps the price up, plus add some spare mech hangers and things like that as you don't want to be waiting 8 weeks for one in the future when you are desperate to get out on the bike.

blondie

by blondie

i was looking for a chinese frame also. i will be leaving it at my daughters and only using it a few times a year when i go to see her. figured it would be cheaper going that route than flying with one

SportingGoods

by SportingGoods

300£ sounds a bit low to me. I encourage you to go the "Chiner" way but I wouldn't be cheap and go with the cheapest one found on Ebay. I own 3 frames imported from China (2 for me and 1 for my wife) plus a pair of wheels and love it but the reseller is key. Some stop answering as soon as you are trouble, some will do all they can to support you. Some have no clue about bike, some know their product.

http://www.xmcarbonspeed.com is one that provides a high level of service. Not the cheapest though. It is a spin-off (yes that's funny) of xmiplay. Peter left them to create his own business and he was the best one from iPlay.

My last advice is to not trust offers for crazy light frames. Either it's a deceptive info or, worse, it's real and you run into the risk of a fragile frame. Stay on the reasonable, safe side.
Last, but not least, I don't recommend carbon bars unless you don't really use it as a proper MTB (OK to ride gravel road). Again, stay safe.