xx1 1x11 compatibility (will my old xx 10spd wheel work?)

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kennyg

by Kennyg

I am looking to move to the 1x11 sram gear and already have the xd driver rear wheel for my bike. I am wondering if my old wheel will shift? Looking up a few web resources it looks like the spacing is very close down to maybe a few hundreds of an inch. I guess I will try it out when I get the gear. Having the ability to us as a spare would be nice if my bike has a flat and I don't want to deal with fixing it on the spot before a ride, especially if the ride wasn't to steep for that day. Sorry if this has already been addressed, I went back a few months and didn't see anything.

Just wondering

Ken

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jaker

by Jaker

Not sure what you're asking? Do you have a new wheel with an XD driver and want to know if the old wheel without XD driver will work as a backup? What cassette will you be using with the old wheel? Shimano 11sp? I think the placement of the cogs is significantly different between SRAM and Shimano 11sp. But I think its just a derailleur alignment change. Then again, I'm not the expert.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Jaker wrote:Not sure what you're asking? Do you have a new wheel with an XD driver and want to know if the old wheel without XD driver will work as a backup? What cassette will you be using with the old wheel? Shimano 11sp? I think the placement of the cogs is significantly different between SRAM and Shimano 11sp. But I think its just a derailleur alignment change. Then again, I'm not the expert.

I've run Shimano XTR 9000 and SRAM XX1 and X01 cassettes on the same bike, same wheel, with very minimal adjustments of the derailleur. Just swap the freehub/cassette (with a DT Swiss 240, just pull it off by hand), put the other one on, and away you go.

OP, what hub do you have?

Kennyg

by Kennyg

my sram xx setup is a chris king hub and my new wheel is a stans notubes wheel with the xd driver setup. I am not sure if other parts are available for my stans hub. It looks like the axel is held together with a 10mm allen fitting on one side

Ken

mattyNorm

by mattyNorm

It sounds like you're asking if your 10speed xx cassette will work with your 11speed xx1 drivetrain and that's a no. You will either have to buy a 11speed xt or xtr casstter or buy a new xd driver for the king hub and a sram 11speed cassette.

grover

by grover

I once put a wheel with an xx1 10-42 11 speed cassette into a bike running xx 2x10. It shifted 10 cogs well. I'd say the spacing is close enough that you could use a ten speed xx cassette with an 11speed xx1 shifter and derailleur. My concern would be that if you're using it as a spare wheel for a race you're likely to not realise when you're in the easiest gear and shift again, shifting the chain off the top of the cassette.

I'd suggest you just buy an xt or xtr 11 speed cassette. They will fit on the wheel that currently has an xx 10 speed cassette but will work perfectly with your xx1 11 speed drivetrain.

Kennyg

by Kennyg

Thanks Grover I suspected it would work. I can see that shifting off the top would be a possibility, I think I could live with it for a spare one time training ride. I will give it a try when everything is together.

Ken

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mtbmiles

by mtbmiles

I think I would just fix my flat, that seems much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk