Lightest dual purpose spd clipless pedals?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Devon

by Devon

Pat2A wrote:Why not clipless pedal adapter ?
Fly Pedals, Anykicks, BBB Feetrest, Deckster Clipless or Bikedabs

For reference, this is what my DIY project mention was for - for about 10% of the price ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Regarding the adapters, I agree with everyone else who said that they are really best for temporary use, even when made of metal. If you ride hard and twist your feet at all vigorously, then they will unclip with the same force that it would take when properly clipped in with a shoe/cleat. Then you are stuck stopping on the side of the road, trying to clip the adapter back in, which is a lot harder than clipping in when wearing a bike shoe.

Turning up the tension on the pedals will help to prevent accidentally clipping the adapters out, but of course will also make it harder to clip back in if you do still pop out, so it is a double edged sword and can lead to roadside frustration.

For a lightweight rider soft pedaling a commute it may be fine, but if you want to give it a shot I would suggest making up some adapters for cheap, as you originally posited, and then doing several rides with your lady so that you will be there to assist if the things do pop out. That way you can test out the application in the real world, without leaving her semi-stranded and cursing you!

anykicks

by anykicks

UpFromOne wrote:Wow, someone did their research!

I recall seeing a thread (maybe somewhere else) that focused on the issue of unintended twist-outs of those clip-in platforms,
because of the grip offered to the shoe. But actual real-world reviews seem to be sparse. Speculating that if you don't twist out
with SPDs, why would you twist out with the platforms?

I'm the creator of Anykicks. I found this forum post because of an influx of visitor from the above link. My adapters are designed to recreate clipless shoe style retention and are designed to strap firmly to your feet so that you clip in and out like you would normally. But, from my testing, which has been exhaustive, it is difficult with most pedal types to twist my platforms off unintentionally, the exception perhaps being certain eggbeater pedals which with enough intensity I have been able to twist off. I think some of the poor reputation for many of the adapters stems from the fact that many use a molded cleat to affix to the pedal and the molded cleats are substandard Anykicks is designed to work with which ever cleat you choose and so you can use a quality cleat and be insured the clipless action will be solid. My guess is that most makers design the adapters to be easier to remove than a standard cleated shoe so that people aren't pissed the adapter takes more effort than swapping pedals. Anykicks are as easy to remove as a normal shoe, since they are designed to mimic the normal clipless action that you are used to. Check this link for an example of how effortless Anykicks are to use. https://www.facebook.com/anykicks/video ... 930066957/ I have tested using my adapters without the straps and do not think twisting off is the problem, however it is certainly possible to step on them while they are upside down and drop the off with enough force while using certain two hole cleat style pedals. If you are interested in clipless adapters, I urge you to give us a try. We offer an unconditional satisfaction guarantee. If you try Anykicks and don't like them, return them within 6 months of purchase and I will refund 100% of your money. We are a small company selling an innovative American made product and we want everyone who buys Anykicks to be totally satisfied.

anykicks

by anykicks

Devon wrote:
Pat2A wrote:Why not clipless pedal adapter ?
Fly Pedals, Anykicks, BBB Feetrest, Deckster Clipless or Bikedabs

For reference, this is what my DIY project mention was for - for about 10% of the price ;)

Anykicks started as a DIY project to solve this issue and while I certainly think you can make a cheaper adapter than what I have created with Anykicks, I do not think you will achieve the quality, ease of use or the longevity that Anykicks provides. Anykicks is the only adapter that provides clipless style retention and does so with nearly any shoe you own. It was optimized to make clipping in and out with regular shoes a snap, and is manufactured in the USA from extremely high quality long last materials.

Devon

by Devon

Have you seen the new Crankbrothers Double Shot?

395g/pair

http://www.crankbrothers.com/product/double-shot

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Here are 2 shots of the Nashbar Soho pedals that I just got.

The stock pedals weighed in at 165g each. Not bad for these types of flat/SPD pedals.

The other pic shows that I removed the flat-side steel cap, and substituted four M4x12mm allen grub screws.
Weight improved a few grams to 156g. each, and much better grip on the shoe.
Attachments
Pedal.Soho.stock.jpg
Pedal.Soho.mod.jpg