Fox CTD Rear Shocks Any Good?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

Fox CTD Rear Shocks Any Good?

I've been looking for a rear shock to replace my 200x51mm stroke on the Vintage Titus RacerX100 I picked up.

Been looking on eby and always surprised to see how many folks selling off low mileage Fox CTD rear shocks. Especially taken off Santa Cruz bronson bikes.

Why is that? Are they not any good? The leverage ratio on the SC Bronson is a bit higher than my Titus so would it work better?

mattyNorm

by mattyNorm

Can't speak for the shocks but the ctd forks are garbage. I sent mine back for warranty after the trail setting stopped working after less than 200km. I got it back yesterday and as far as I can tell they didn't fix anything.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerector

by bikerector

As far as I know, they work well. The first year of them (2013 I think) they were not too well received as the damping was underwhelming if I remember correctly. I had a 1st gen CTD that I sent into push industries because I thought the damping was too light, I was blowing through travel pretty easily. I don't think they're the best shocks but that also depends on which one and I don't think fox does a good job describing the differences between the levels of suspension they sell. I'm not hesitant to get another one and I'll probably be back on full-suspension before too long after a season of racing hardtail, my back can't take that crap anymore.

I think a lot of people that would be getting the bronson might be the type of crowd that would go for the cane creek DB shock which has a pretty strong following in the more aggressive mtb categories.