Can you tell me what my S-Works should weigh?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Itsadrianduminy

by Itsadrianduminy

Hi there.
I have the 2015 Specialized Epic S-Works WC (White)
Its relatively stock, with the only changes being:
New tires: Specialized Fast Trak Control {2.2 Front,, 2.0 Rear}
Look S-Track Race pedals
2 Bottle Cages. (Specialized ZEE COMPOSITE)
Anyone with suggestions for lightening it up?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Yes, make a parts list with weights!

devinci

by devinci

and pictures

Itsadrianduminy

by Itsadrianduminy

The full bike with pedals Ect weighs 10.3..

Factory standard except the tires. Fast trak control 2.0/2.2.
Look on http://m.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mo ... -world-cup for the parts. Everthing the exact same except i removed the SWAT BOX. Also my bike has Magura Mt8 brakes, and the Sid XX WORLD CUP. I made a full list with weights, taking me about an hour, and then the website cleared everything I typed and I'm not in the mood for doing that AGAIN now.. However things I could see me saving weight on: The stem- I have a cheap stem that I got with my setup (160G)
The brake rotors- Magura storm SL Rotors 160/180 mm.. Might convert both to 160mm
The bolts- I've never done this, but I heard of people doing "bolt tuning"? Does this work with saving weight?

Pictures in the link are the exact same bike

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/conten ... _2015.jpeg

Thanks for the help! :p

Itsadrianduminy

by Itsadrianduminy

I don't know if my bike weighs what It should? I mean giys like Nino Shurter's bikes are all sub 10 KG's.. Am I doing something wrong?

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Yes, call Nino.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

DanW

by DanW

I made a full list with weights, taking me about an hour

You completely disassembled and rebuilt the bike in an hour :D Sorry, but it is the only way to do it as components can easily be 5%, sometimes 10% out compred to internet number. Not just manufacturer claims that put things out but also natural variation. Tyres for example can be a great way to save weight if you buy 3 and select the lightest. Italian parts also :lol:

As others have said, post real weights with a full spec list.

I don't know if my bike weighs what It should? I mean giys like Nino Shurter's bikes are all sub 10 KG's.. Am I doing something wrong?

Well Nino is limited to sponsor only parts but do get access to prototype stuff... so on that logic your full sus *should* be 9kg :roll: :D That is a stupid question I'm afraid.

Post real weights with a full spec list and I sure there's so g's to be had

The bolts- I've never done this, but I heard of people doing "bolt tuning"? Does this work with saving weight?

This just means replacing heavy steel bolts with aluminium or Ti where appropriate for weight saving

Bolt thrus
Stem
Bolt tuning
Grips
Bottle cages
Brake rotors
Chainring
Pedals (probably)
Saddle
Seatpost
Seatclamp
Tyres (selecting lightest + I use Renegades rather than Fastrak for the same conditions)
Tubeless
Tubeless valves

..... there's always lots of places to save weight but the spec of the two S-Works in the 2 links are quite different so we need specs and weights to help :beerchug:

Itsadrianduminy

by Itsadrianduminy

Alright.. I'll have to dissassemble it sometime then lol

@DanW
Thanks for the tires and bolts tips.. Also, how much Stan's Sealant is optimal for good sealing, and low weight?

Found some foam grips at my lbs, weighed them and they came in at 21G..
Also, which stems would you recommend? KCNC?

TheRookie

by TheRookie

I use 59ml of Stans, which by coincidence is what they put in their 'single tyre' bottles (I got the bottles as part of a kit and use it for measuring and filling through the valves).
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

DanW

by DanW

~60g per 2.1-2.3 29er tyre works well for most. It does vary by tyre but 60ml should be a good starting point.

Itsadrianduminy

by Itsadrianduminy

Alright thanks guys.. Would you reccomend me using the Control of S-Works tyres for World Cups Standard XC Racing? I'm the current national champ but don't want to risk losing that to a flat tyre...

devinci

by devinci

Which country are you national champ of?

Personnaly i prefer safety over lightness for tires. The control version of the fast track weight less then the maxxis ikon exc exo iirc

DanW

by DanW

Yes, the Control versions are already pretty light, especially for the protection they provide. My 2.0 Renegades are 550g just using any old tyres. I'm sure I could drop a fair bit of weight if I picked some of the lighter ones from stock. They are lighter than my non-protection Ikons although they give up some volume and tread in return so it's not completely apples to apples. With reagrds to durability, the Spesh sponsored guys use Renegade Controls for races like the Cape Epic and the mechanics spend half the night picking out thorns ready for the next stage with the same tyres :) Not sure what the Spesh sponsored XCO guys run. Most likely something non-production even if the treads look visibly similar.

devinci

by devinci

Jaroslav Kulhavy rides fast tracks s works in a special compound unavailable to the public, as far as i know

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Itsadrianduminy

by Itsadrianduminy

Alright that's quite nice!I'm gonna go for the renegades then..! And South Africa :)
I came from a light hardtail so I'd like the Full-suss light aswell.

Do you guys think an RS-1 Fork is worth it compared to my SID WC?